cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How do I move a workplane so that it snaps onto a face?

vgillespie
1-Newbie

How do I move a workplane so that it snaps onto a face?

Although I do like Creo Elements / Direct Modeling Express and I appreciate that it is free, a problem with this program is that it is not very user friendly, in my opinion, and that can be frustrating.  I sometimes find myself unable to figure out how to do simple things and the help file sometimes doesn't help.  I am in that situation now.

I want to move a workplane in a direction normal to itself until it snaps onto a certain face which is parallel to the workplane.  That seems like it should be a simple thing to do but I can't see how to do it.  I thought I could use the 3D Copilot (in the dynamic position mode) and that when the pointer got over the face the face would get highlighted and I could select it and then the worplane would snap to it.  But it doesn't get highlighted and I can't select it.  Of course there are other ways to accomplish this, such as just creating a new workplane on the face.  But I have been running into this particular issue repeatedly and it will save me time to know how to do this.  Could someone tell me how to do this please?  (I am assuming it is possible.)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:ThomasKirkman)

The other option is to change the 3D CoPilot settings so that when the cursor does go over a face it will snap to that face.

File->Settings->3D CoPilot Settings.

3D_CoPilot_Snap.GIF

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Press the shift key when moving the workplane.

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:ThomasKirkman)

The other option is to change the 3D CoPilot settings so that when the cursor does go over a face it will snap to that face.

File->Settings->3D CoPilot Settings.

3D_CoPilot_Snap.GIF

Thank you both, Peter Kehoe and Tom Kirkman.  Each of your answers completely solves the problem.   Excellent.

Top Tags