cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How do you center a part between two parts?

gkuljian
3-Visitor

How do you center a part between two parts?

I have two bearing rails on either side of a drill chuck.

Ordinarily, in my previous program, I would construct a line between the two outer parts, then move the inner part by selecting on it's center, and moving to the midpoint of the line I constructed, with a filter allowing it to only move in the plane I choose.

But with Creo, I cannot even snap on a part that isn't active. So in order to even draw the line between the two outer parts, I have to activate one, put a workplane on it, draw a point in the corner; go over to the other outer part, activate it, then draw a line between the active part, and the point I drew. Then I can snap to that midpoint, and move my part. Is this really how it's done, or is there some easier way?

Also, is there a way to snap to parts that aren't activated? Some commands do, some don't. And it seems the commands where I need it, it isn't there, and vice versa.

I have to add that I'm getting addicted to this program. It's a lot of fun when I know the in's and out's.

Thanks.

Gregg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:gkuljian)

I think that you may want to change one of the settings so that you can snap to all parts. If you are using version 19, go to File->Settings->2D CoPilot Settings. In that dialog, select "3D Project". Then in the "Parts" section, check "All Parts".2D_CoPilot_3D_project.GIF

What a help. Thanks for your reply. I wasn't looking in 2D. Now I see why it belongs there.

I also found that infinite construction bisector works well for centering. I'm still getting used to the program. There are some pretty amazing abilities by just dragging alone. Lots of mysteries still.

Top Tags