cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

Sometimes you need to add an existing something into a model your setting up. It does not need to be a perfect match to reality but at least look a little bit like it.

Or you have a drawing that has not all dimensions. And instead of measuring from a photo or drawing it might be nice to sketch directly on top of the drawing/photo in cocreate.

Is there any way to do such a thing?

Load a picture scale it etc etc as a workplane for instance or fix a picture into the 3d space in an other way?

I know you can load a picture as a background image to a viewport but, 1 the scaling is hard to do and non permanent 2 and you can't zoom in on parts. So it would be nice if there was another solution.

Thnx in advance for enlighting me

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

If you can get your 2D photo or drawing into a DWG or DXF format it can be loaded into the Annotation Module. Once in Annotation, simply click "Ctrl c" (Copy) on your keyboard and then draw a window box around the image/view you want to use. Then toggle back to Modeling, create a new workplane, and then click "Ctrl v" to paste the image/view on to the workplane.

Hope that helps!

~chris

Re: How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

Well that is a coincidence ... Just today I was going to add some covers onto an existing part .... So I took pictures.

Anyway eventhough making a dwg from a drawing is not the way to do it. I did remember that you can import pictures directly into annotation and you can size them.

Now I have not figured out how to get them to the size i need them but that is just a minor detail...

Once you got your picture in annotation you can trace it and indeed copy the lines back into a workplane as you suggested.

So I must thank you for bringing me to the right path .

So making a model from a 2d picture or whatever is possible through annotation. I still would like to see that you can load a picture into a workplane and scale it there. But this will do.