cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

WouterPortegijs
1-Newbie

How to create a part from a 2d photo or drawing?

Sometimes you need to add an existing something into a model your setting up. It does not need to be a perfect match to reality but at least look a little bit like it.

Or you have a drawing that has not all dimensions. And instead of measuring from a photo or drawing it might be nice to sketch directly on top of the drawing/photo in cocreate.

Is there any way to do such a thing?

Load a picture scale it etc etc as a workplane for instance or fix a picture into the 3d space in an other way?

I know you can load a picture as a background image to a viewport but, 1 the scaling is hard to do and non permanent 2 and you can't zoom in on parts. So it would be nice if there was another solution.

Thnx in advance for enlighting me

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

If you can get your 2D photo or drawing into a DWG or DXF format it can be loaded into the Annotation Module. Once in Annotation, simply click "Ctrl c" (Copy) on your keyboard and then draw a window box around the image/view you want to use. Then toggle back to Modeling, create a new workplane, and then click "Ctrl v" to paste the image/view on to the workplane.

Hope that helps!

~chris

Well that is a coincidence ... Just today I was going to add some covers onto an existing part .... So I took pictures.

Anyway eventhough making a dwg from a drawing is not the way to do it. I did remember that you can import pictures directly into annotation and you can size them.

Now I have not figured out how to get them to the size i need them but that is just a minor detail...

Once you got your picture in annotation you can trace it and indeed copy the lines back into a workplane as you suggested.

So I must thank you for bringing me to the right path .

So making a model from a 2d picture or whatever is possible through annotation. I still would like to see that you can load a picture into a workplane and scale it there. But this will do.

Top Tags