cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Import from Inventor 2020 and 2021

GiovanniSpada
6-Contributor

Import from Inventor 2020 and 2021

Creo Elemnts Direct Modeling 20.3.1 doesn't import Inventor 2020 and 2021 native (IPT and IAM) files.

Customers need this data exchange,  Creo 7.0 can import, so it is possible.

7 REPLIES 7

CED and Creo are of the same family but that does not mean that because one sibling can do something then the other can too.

Refer to knowledge base and see what Inventor versions are supported by CED.

GiovanniSpada
6-Contributor
(To:remy)

I do this job since so much time that know perfectly why these differences are. This not a technical question, it is only a question of investiment.
So please think only to Customers needs. And data exchange today is a real need.

Thank you for your prompt reply. My reply is straightforward and I apologize.
Considering your experience in the business and your experience with PTC you probably already know that your valuable suggestion to improve the product can be sent to Product Management by following the steps of this article https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS67713.
Understanding that data exchange is a real need (I also worked for a CAD data exchange software company as a developer before joigning PTC) and that Creo Parametric include this capability, your creating an enhancement contribution will be straightforward.
GiovanniSpada
6-Contributor
(To:remy)

Hello I followed your suggestion creating a NEW IDEA.

Thanks, Giovanni

stevegut
5-Regular Member
(To:GiovanniSpada)

Yes, Many of the import/export data formats supported by CED are older.  But, maybe an option is to use the granite interface (that is kept up to date).  You can convert the file to the granite format then use Creo to convert it to your final requirement.  Not a great solution, but perhaps it will do that job.

steveg

Hello, thanks for suggestion, I already did it.

My problem is to explain to customers thay will have to rent a Creo 7.0 license only to convert Inventor files, these customers are paying PTC for CED update.

Your customer upgrade CED and in this instance importing Inventor 2020 and 2021 requires an additional solution. This is an additional cost on your customer's end and he is disappointed.
I can understand.
PTC Support Services stands with you on the technical side and suggested to have your enhancement request filed to notify Product Management about this limitation.
For all cost, license and business issues, as a partner you are in touch with a Channel Business Manager from PTC or a Sales. Please reach out to them.
Thank you for your understanding.
Best regards
Remy
Top Tags