cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Looking for Creo Direct Drafting (2D) users

ethomas-4
3-Visitor

Looking for Creo Direct Drafting (2D) users

Hello -

I am a fairly new user to Creo Direct Drafting, or as we call it, CEDD.   Is there anyone who uses Creo Direct Drafting - 2D only - that would be willing to share their knowledge through tips and tricks with me?  I have taken it upon myself to become a subject matter expert for CEDD; therefore, I am always looking for information to share with the rest of the team.

Thank you in advance!

Elizabeth Thomas

9 REPLIES 9
tivancso
14-Alexandrite
(To:ethomas-4)

Hello Elizabeth,

I would be happy to try an answer any questions you may have on using Creo Elements Direct Drafting.

Regards,

Thom

Thanks Thomas!

We have been using 2D drafting for quite a few years and would be willing to help in any way we can.  We are also interested in hearing what others are doing with 2D drafting.

Thank you.

Scott O'Brien

Tensor Engineering

Hi Scott,

My company is currently using I-DEAS as their primary 2D drafting too; however, we are in the process of transitioning over to CEDD. If you are familiar with I-DEAS you understand the changes from it to CEDD. My role is to help capture those changes as well as learn the tool and train others. Everything I have learned has been OTJ by clicking a button with the "what does this do?" thought process.  In addition to learning CEDD I will also be learning CREO Parametric!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

And there was us thinking we were the only people left using 2d I-deas (fantastic product) only for legacy work but still in use. We even have it running on win7 after some considerable struggle, due to the IT people not understanding how such old software works not due to I-deas.

Ed13
7-Bedrock

Hello Elizabeth,

You can count on my support too.

Best Regards,

Greetings fellow CEDD users -

Has anyone had success with importing an AutoCAD (.dwg) file into CEDD? The few times I have tried the scaling seems to be way off- but it could be just a learning curve too. In addition, if you have successfully brought in a .dwg were you able to save the various entities/elements/whatever you want to call it as a part or symbol to be used in future drawings?

Thanks in advance!

tivancso
14-Alexandrite

Hello Elizabeth,

I am using version 19 and if you look in the install directory there is a folder labeled dxfdwg ( C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Direct Drafting 19.0\dxfdwg) in this folder are four files the two to look at are DXFDWG.con and readme.htm. The DXFDWG.con file is the configuration file for how the translator handles the way files are brought into CEDD.

Copy the file to a new name to save the original then open it up in a text editor (I prefer Notepad++) then you want alter the two lines to help with scaling when translating a dxf or dwg file from AutoCAD.

CustomUnits               OFF
Units                     mm
UnitsScale                1.0

To Read

CustomUnits               ON
Units                     inch
UnitsScale                25.4

This should fix the scaling issue.

Save the file and then try to import the file into CEDD.

I would also read the readme.htm file for what the other settings can be configured.

Always remember to save the original file to something else before making changes.

Regards,

Thom

Robo
3-Visitor

Hello Elizabeth

I have been using ME10 alias Drafting alias CEDD since 1992. Please feel free to ask questions.

Regards

Bojan Rotar

Top Tags