cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Workplane has no real geometry

ptc-2390762
1-Newbie

Workplane has no real geometry

I hope someone can help because this is the part of learning a new Drawing programe that is frustrating. I drew a blok and extruded it, now i want to mill the one side but i just cant select the side workplane, it keeps on giving the dreaded ""Workplane has no real geometry""...why is this? Geometry was checked in the 2d menue when i drew the bolck. 😮

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2390762)

What color is the 2D geometry in the selected workplane? (It should be all white.)
ptc-2390762
1-Newbie
(To:)

Im not to sure what you mean, are you talking about the workplane border or about the block itself?
Not applicable

I'm talking about the 2D profile which you probably created to extrude the block. Maybe you can post a screenshot to explain the situation? Thanks! Claus
ptc-2390762
1-Newbie

Hope im doing this right...the color is grey...

Sorry stupid question again..how do i add a picture?
Not applicable

Check the ""Attach a file after posting"" option. After submitting your message, you can then attach an image.
Not applicable

Did you make your side workplane the active workplane before you tried to use it to mill? If the workplane border is gray (not green), it is not active. To make it active, select it with your left mouse button. (It will highlight yellow) While the workplane is highlighted, click your right mouse button and select ""Set Active WP"" from the context dependant drop down menu. Your selected workplane will now be the active workplane, and the border will turn green. Now try your mill command again. Note that the front of the workplane is a slightly different shade of green than the back. This is just another way of knowing in advance the positive ""W"" direction of your workplane.
ptc-2390762
1-Newbie

That is why im so confused, im doing everything you all say but that message still comes up...i attached a screenshot...maybe this will help.

I would just like to add something that i noticed, the new Workplane border is off set to the one corner..why is that?
Not applicable

Workplane /W2 is the active workplane, and this workplane does NOT contain any 2D geometry.........Your active workplane must have a closed 2D profile in order to perform any machining operations. (hence the error) For What It's worth. The workplane is only a visual representation of an infinite plane where you will create 2D geometry. Workplane borders will grow in order to display any geometry you create on them. (although there is a default starting size) Do not worry about the position. You can use construction geometry to define an origin for any profiles you need to create. (Or, you can create your new workplane by using the point and direction method, which will give you a workplane with a U-V origin at the selected point) Also, make sure you understand how to use the catch mode. Unless you set your catch to allow you to select 3D geometry when you create 2D geometry, any lines you try to build over existing 3D edges will not necessarily be on that edge.
ptc-2390762
1-Newbie

Thanks Mike but this n bit mutch to swallow for now, i will have to do some more reading because i dont realy understand what you are saying. I drew the flat shape of the block with 2d co pilot, then i rotated it and extruded it to the thickniss i wanted, now it looks to me that i cant mill on the extruded part but only on the flat 2d part....is that where i am making the mistake, maybe im not understanding some basic fundamentals? Anyway im ading a picture of the part that i want to draw, maybe you or anyone else can advise me on how i should start this project.
Not applicable

anonymous wrote:

I drew the flat shape of the block with 2d co pilot, then i rotated it and extruded it to the thickniss i wanted, now it looks to me that i cant mill on the extruded part but only on the flat 2d part....

ptc-1796973
1-Newbie

I've totally ignored your dimension on your drawing and created on with similar shape just to show how I would do it. Normally I don't keep workplanes because they are not needed when using this product, but I left them on so you could see how I did it. W1 is the workplane that I used to create the main shape, then extruded it. I then created W2 and put the holes on the face where they needed to go (you might have to learn how to use construction geometry to get them placed correctly). Then W3 was created and used to put the notch in the part. Notice that you can only see the geometry in W3 because that is the one that is active. The other two planes are inactive. As I said before, I'd delete the workplanes once you're done with that machining operation to avoid any confusion.

Thanks Garry and everyone else for your input..i am slowly getting the hang off this...i managed to drill a hole and milled one side, not to drwing dimensions at all!!! but that will come later, now im just trying everything out. You guys helped a lot because when you start with a new Drawing package and you hit a snag like this you just need a few tips in the right direction.
Top Tags