cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

creo elements/pro(e) wildfire5.0

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

creo elements/pro(e) wildfire5.0

Hi all!
Since you are all (already) creo members, what do you think about that long name:
creo elements/pro(e) wildfire5.0? de-branding proe for that?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

Don't companies "re-brand" their flagship product (think... Domino's Pizza) when they finally admit they are being beaten in the marketplace by someone else?

CREO elements/pro is shorter than Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0

🙂

PTC is wanting their current and potential new customers to understand
that WF5 will transition into CREO when it's ready. Re-branding
Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 to CREO elements/pro is a good way to convey the
message.

If new customers are looking at PTC for their CAD solution, they won't
feel uneasy about buying something that will be obsolete in 1 year. Naming
it CREO elements/pro is another way to convey the message to a new
customer and make them understand that anything made in CREO elements/pro
will work inside CREO.

As for companies re-branding when they know the competitor won. I don't
agree with that at all.

Many companies have Re-branded themselves for many reason. Some do it
when they are going in a new direction such as Parametric Technology
Corporation. When Parametric Technology Corporation went beyond CAD and
started to offer Product Development Products, they re-branded themselves
as "PTC".

The same is true if you are coming out with a brand new product that was
built from the ground up with new technology. You don't want to brand it
the same because it's not the same product.

This is at least my opinion.

Damián Castillo
CAD & Administration Manager
Engineering Department
Hensley Industries

Well said.

Regards,

Bryant (Buddy) H. Hudson IV
CAD/PDM Administrator Atlas Copco Drilling Solutions LLC
2100 North First Street
Garland, TX 75040 - USA
dcoterel
1-Newbie
(To:Dmi3U)

Dmitry....now when I see CREO....I think of milk and an OREO cookie!

Honestly though, it hasn't sunk in just yet but I have asked my sales rep "How much is this gonna cost my company?"

If you are a maintenance customer, there is no cost for CREO. You get it when it launches or when you are ready to change over to it.

Any existing modules you have will be available in the CREO environment.

On another note. CREO is Spanish is pronounced differently but it has 3 meanings. I Think, I Believe and I Create. I know PTC mentioned this, but I think it's a brilliant name that captures the products purpose. It's also one short word that is much easier to deal with when searching on-line.

I never knew if I should search for Pro/E, Pro-E, Pro Engineer, Pro/Engineer, Wildfire, Proe, Pro/Engineer Wildfire, Pro/E Wildfire, etc.

Now it's just CREO.

In Reply to Darel Coterel:

Dmitry....now when I see CREO....I think of milk and an OREO cookie!

Honestly though, it hasn't sunk in just yet but I have asked my sales rep "How much is this gonna cost my company?"

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"
shridhar
1-Newbie

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions in this regard:-

1. Will we be able to access ProE WF 5.0/3.0 files through the CREO environment?

2. How compatible are the CREO files with the PDMLink?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Shridhar

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Answers as I understand them from the broadcast.

1. CREO 1 will not be released until next summer. PTC has made the latest version able to read 2 prior versions, at least, in the past. CREO that you download today is really just WF5 m065, a new splash screen saying CREO/Pro instead of Pro/E Wildfire.

2. As stated in the broadcast, you will need a new version of Windchill 10 to access CREO 2.x files. So those who move to CREO 1 next summer cannot using Windchill solutions at first.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

I could be wrong here, but the idea behind CREO is that it can open any CAD data and use it natively. Maybe I am wrong...

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Yes CREO is supposed to be able to open NX and CATIA files in a native format and allow direct editing.
NX can open files from other CAD systems now, and has been able to for 2 years, and allow direct face editing.

If CREO is going to open these other files as native files, what cost is being added to the maintenance bills for PTC to license the other solid modeling kernels from Siemens and Dassault to allow them to do this? Does this ability also extend to Inventor files. SolidWorks and SolidEdge use the same kernel as NX, so they won't be an issue.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

Ben, I would not think that by PTC saying in the demo that creo would read and wright all CAD systems files natively, would mean that they will not require licenses for translation to-and-from these systems. You will still need to buy additional licenses (like you do today)

What I gleamed from the presentation was that CREO could import other native
CAD files, but it in order to edit them, it seemed like it got converted
into a CREO-understood format and then it stayed in a CREO format.

It would be nice if CREO could open other native CAD files but keep them in
the native format, like editing a client's SolidWorks files in CREO and
sending the updated files back to the client still in SolidWorks format.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

PTC only claimed to read native format files, not write them.
When I evaluated the PTC direct read of NX files a few years ago, you had to own a seat of NX and the import license for Pro/E to import the NX file. This was not cheap. The PTC license listed for almost $10K. I won't say what a seat of NX cost us at that time.
IF CREO cannot directly read native files without the user buying extra cost licenses, that should have been stated in the presentation.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

My understanding is the same as yours Christopher. If CREO could do what
you described, it would be amazing. I am almost sure it won't be able to
do that, but that sure would be something that would benefit consulting
companies that must deal in many different CAD environments in order to
cater to their clients.

Damián Castillo
CAD & Administration Manager
Engineering Department
Hensley Industries