cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Add a "what's this?" button

banderson-2
1-Newbie

Add a "what's this?" button

I would like a ? button like there are in certain windows applications that you can click which will open a help link that pertains to the button you want to try to use. An example would this. I see the 3d box select icon. I want to see if there are any options related to the box selection becuase I want to see if it will choose subassemblies instead of only piece parts.  So I go the the help section and type in "3d box select" and I can't find any information on it whatsoever. Repeat this with any tool in the system. If you could click a "what's this?" button and then click what you wanted to learn about, and have it link to a help document that explained 1. an overview of what it should do 2. a step through of the steps that you need to do to use it. 3. a pictoral example that shows EVERY step, 4. any options that relate to this function (whether that be config.pro or otherwise). It would also be nice to link to any tutorials that might be available on the subject.

I think everyone agrees that it can be very challenging navagating the PTC help structure, and that better organization would really help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

In Creo 2.0 you have to press F1 key to open Help page related to the button lying under mouse cursor.

Martin Hanák

That's good to know! I guess I will withdraw my idea.

I wouldn't withdraw it.  Hover + F1 is the sort of hidden functionality that has crept in the Proe / Creo and really makes it hard to learn.  There are some parts like IDD & ISDX that have such an obscure interface that it is nearly impossble to use without training.

How would someone know about hover + F1?  A "What's This?" button is far more intuitive and useful.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

After reading the replies, I realize that it is the first thing that shows in the help window when you press the help button. Just most people (me) don't read the first page and go immediately to searching.

I agree though. And adding the button should be an easy fix. Redundancy isn't alway bad.

Top Tags