cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Another Windows 7/Creo install A** biter

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Another Windows 7/Creo install A** biter

A number of people have complained to me that they can't specify a mapped drive to install the software on. The Creo installer will not let them do that.

The hard drive in my laptop died yesterday so I'm now working off a loaner laptop while mine is getting fixed.

I went to install Creo locally using my scripted install and it only installed Creo View Express and Creo View, it failed with it got to Creo itself.

I opened up a command window as my normal self and copied the first line of the Creo install into the window. It didn't do anything, just came back with a prompt, and no errors.

Thinking maybe this machine is going to require me to run as admin. I opened up a command shell as admin and copied the same command into it. It couldn't find the mapped drive. After searching on Google I found that elevated and non-elevated accounts are not linked, so they don't share the same drive mappings. There's a registry setting to make them linked.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

This should solve the drive mapping issue inside the Creo installer. It worked for one of my colleagues.
See this page for more information.
7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

I have the same issue with Windchill installs on a Win2008 server. I have to move the files to a local drive because the PTC Solution Installer does not see my mapped network drives. My Home directory is on a mapped drive to our file server and PSI does not even see that. Real pain to copy files locally just to install.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

While the drives do not show in the pull-down during installation, you can copy the drive letter/path and paste it into the location bar in the installer. Hit enter. It should see it then.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE2A37.1B1DF8C0]

[cid:image002.jpg@01CE2A37.1B1DF8C0]

[cid:image003.jpg@01CE2A37.1B1DF8C0]

It's not obvious, but this will work. May have to do the same thing if you ever need to 'Customize Existing Software' too.

--Don

I should also add, this will put some stuff into the programs list on your local workstation. Just leave them alone. If you uninstall the Creo stuff you see on your local workstation, the network installation will not run properly.

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

While the drives do not show in the pull-down during installation, you can copy the drive letter/path and paste it into the location bar in the installer. Hit enter. It should see it then.

It's not obvious, but this will work. May have to do the same thing if you ever need to 'Customize Existing Software' too.

--Don

Have any of you guys been able to run the silent install for Creo 2.0
using the directions from the installation documentation?

Regards,

Bryant (Buddy) Hudson IV
CAD/PDM Administrator Atlas Copco Drilling Solutions LLC
2100 North First Street
Garland, TX 75040 - USA

Hi

I remember that I had a similar issue. As I remember it can be fix by changing UAR settings in windows 7. This is a issue related to windows and not PTC installation assistant.

Regards
Johannes.
venlig hilsen
Johannes von Zastrow

UAC. User Account Control was what I ment to write 🙂

venlig hilsen
Johannes von Zastrow

If you mean the XML file solution, yes and it works quite well. I created a batch file to do it and it installs Creo Parametric, the common files, the Help and all the addons that run at first launch. I have to launch the batch file as admin, but it then runs without any user intervention.

The install docs explain how to do this very well, well, except for the batch file part but that's pretty simple.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags