cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo Illustrate 3.0 - Is there a way to change the source with keeping the created figures?

MarcoAlbrecht
7-Bedrock

Creo Illustrate 3.0 - Is there a way to change the source with keeping the created figures?

An c3di file has got an creo parametric assembly as source. I did a save as action with the creo parametric assembly. Some of the components in the structure were changing. Now, I want to keep all the created figures in Illustrate of the original assembly for the new assembly. I do not want to create all the figures in Creo Illustrate once again. Is that possible?

3 REPLIES 3

How was the source imported?

If it was linked, when you update the source file illustrate will ask if you want to update which will update the source within the illustrate file.

Depending on the changes that have been made to the creo parametric assembly you may have to update some of the sBOM manually. Either way I would try this on a duplicate of the original first time before commiting to the update.

If the source was embedded you won't be able to update the source.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response.

The source is linked.

The topic is the handling of variants of parts and assemblies.

Obviously there is no way to update the properties of a replaced part/ subassembly or what else in illustrate. I always have to create new figures or repair positions etc of the changend parts/ subassemblies.

For example:

I have a car with four doors and an exploded view in illustrate. Now I say save as of the car assembly and create a variant with two doors in creo parametric. I also doing save as of the illustrate file. It will be nice to replace the four door variant by the two door variant in the sbom in illustrate to keep the exploded view. My idea is, only to edit some parts in the exploded view and not create the exploded view once again.

The solution could be a replace feature like in creo parametric. Is this planned?

One option may be to import the second (updated) source and then in Edit Structure mode there is the ability to 'Cut' parts from the eBOM and 'Paste Special>Replace existing' in the sBOM. This would allow you to replace parts/subassemblies manually.

This may depend on the version of illustrate you are running and also the type of source data involved.

Top Tags