cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo Sketch - free sketching app

DanMarotta
2-Guest

Creo Sketch - free sketching app

Paul Sagar, Director of Product Management for Creo at PTC, demonstrates  the key capabilities of Creo Sketch. Creo Sketch is PTC's 2D design app  for quickly drawing or sketching ideas- as easy as sketching on a  napkin. Add color, special effects, and text to turn a sketch into a  full 2D concept. Directly leverage sketches into other apps from PTC's  Creo suite of design software to turn 2D artwork into 3D models.

Will you download this free app when it becomes available?

20 REPLIES 20

I think that I would like to give it a try. After all the price is right. A few questions come to mind:

1) Does it utilize some sort of tablet and stylus for sketching? or can it be done with a mouse?

2) Is tha App available just for PC's and laptops or will there be an Apple/ Android version as well?

3) Will it be a standalone app so that it can run on a system that does not have Creo installed or will it be launched through the Creo environment?

All-in-all - Looks pretty neat.

-Greg

Greg, I forwarded your comments to Paul Sagar. He should be able to supply some insight

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:DanMarotta)

Would be nice if you could use edges from that sketch as a base for some feature in parametric.

Dan,

Thanks for forwarding the questions.

-Greg

Davor,

That would be cool! I did see a demonstration in Vegas where they used this sketch as a basis for creating a model. I think that model was created in the freestyle modeling app. Not sure exactly, but they started with a sphere and then pushed/pulled etc. until they had the shape they were looking for. It was a neat demonstration.

-Greg

Greg

To answer your questions:

1) Yes Creo Sketch can take advantage of tablets such as Wacom, but can also be effectively used with a regular mouse. If you use a tablet then pressure sensitivity is supported. The harder you press the stronger the stroke.

2) The first release will be Windows XP and Windows 7 only. In the future we plan to add support for Mac OS and also Ipad.

3) This is a completely stand alone app. There is no pre-requisite to have other Creo apps installed.

Hope this helps

Paul

Davor,

At the moment the output of Creo Sketch can be used directly inside Creo Parametric using Trace Sketch. This allows you to load in the raster image and scale/position it accordingly. In the future we will be investigating also transferring the curves.

Thanks

Paul

Greg

Here is an example of Freestyle, built from a Creo Sketch file

Paul

Yes, to export in a section format (.sec) for use in the sketch of construction of a part.

Dan,

Thanks for the video!

Will you download this free app when it becomes available?

Yes.

Paul,

Seems to be a missing link to the example. Is it the same video that Dan posted with the vacuum, or is it the one showing the creation of the mirror based on the output from the sketch app?

-Greg

Where can we downoad CREO Sketch from ?

Creo Sketch is now available and can now be downloaded for free below.

www.ptc.com/go/sketch

Paul

Thanks, Paul!

I don't necessarily need this tool to be parametric, but the apparent absence of a "export to .sec" (or something similar) seems like a big miss.  

I try to print in Creo Sketch 1.0 file in PDF, but in the process of creating a file error occurs. Any ideas?

Vladimir, what are you using to print to PDF?

Paul, hello!

To print a PDF file, I used the printer "Adobe PDF" (I have installed the latest version of Adobe Reader X (10.1.0)). Log error is attached below.

Thanks.

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/167497-29335/MyDoc.log.zip

Vladimir

We are looking into this issue and will pix it in the next release

Paul

Top Tags