cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creo View User Preference - Setting up Path for Cache Folder Location

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Creo View User Preference - Setting up Path for Cache Folder Location

Ok...so I'm tyring to modify the XML file for user preferences so I can distribute to other user's and have their cache set up and enabled.  What is the line of text I need for the value of cache_location?  I've tried about 10 different variants without any luck.  

location-cache-folder-user-prefs.JPG

I'm trying to go here...

location-cache-folder-user-prefs-a.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin and my friends at Leyland for helping out...the work around I found was to leave the value for cache location unset as shown below.  With Cache enabled, the file path gets generated on Launch of Creo View and saved into the XML file upon exit.   More testing would need to be done for this be set on the server_prefs.xml or admin_prefs.xml per CS32479, but for me to hand it off as a user_prefs.xml file this will be sufficient.

Initial Settings as shown below in user_pref.xml file

location-cache-folder-user-prefs-b.JPG

After user launches and exits, the XML file gets updated as shown below.

location-cache-folder-user-prefs-c.JPG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

some notes ...

1.]

\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ ... you have to remove first backslash, its presence doesn't make any sense

2.]

I didn't find any information describing format of user_prefs.xml file. Therefore I don't know, whether variables are allowed inside it. You can ask PTC Support.

3.]

In config.pro, variable notation (Unix like) is ... $USERPROFILE ... you can try this notation in user_prefs.xml file

4.]

If user_prefs.xml file distribution is performed when user launches Creo View, then you can include a script into Creo View startup sequence and replace variable in user_prefs.xml file by its real value.

MH

Martin Hanák
BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin and my friends at Leyland for helping out...the work around I found was to leave the value for cache location unset as shown below.  With Cache enabled, the file path gets generated on Launch of Creo View and saved into the XML file upon exit.   More testing would need to be done for this be set on the server_prefs.xml or admin_prefs.xml per CS32479, but for me to hand it off as a user_prefs.xml file this will be sufficient.

Initial Settings as shown below in user_pref.xml file

location-cache-folder-user-prefs-b.JPG

After user launches and exits, the XML file gets updated as shown below.

location-cache-folder-user-prefs-c.JPG

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:BillRyan)

Here is the server side context level preference setting in the XML file for reference that we use.  I chose to lock it to ensure it gets pushed out for our development contexts. 

<!--Comment - Setting enables cache on the client machine to store locally the Creo View graphics files stored in Windchill-->
<!--Comment - Note: This Setting provides significant performance benefits for users when they load the same content.  May need to consider a future process to clean the client cache-->
    <category
      name="LocalCache">
      <preference
        name="enable_cache"
        value="True" locked="true"/>
    </category>

mschulze
13-Aquamarine

The disatvantage of enabling enable_cache = true and leaving cache_location unset in the server_prefs.xml, is that the user is prompted to apply or diesable changes made, the next time he enters the configuration menue in the GUI.

And setting the cache_location via valiables like %APPDATA% or $APPDATA do not work / are not supported.

So it looks like one should write an enhancement request for this issue.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:mschulze)

Do you have a picture of the prompt you are referring to?  We've been using this server preference for quite a while know and haven't seen or heard of any complaints from users.  We are in Creo view 3.1 still...maybe this prompt is in newer build?

mschulze
13-Aquamarine

Here are the three option you my set in the server_prefs.xml.

See attached pictures. All Tested with Creo View Light 5.0

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

I'm sure we will see it if it exists in Creo View 5.  I've been hesitant to even go to Creo View 5 after I tested it because the custom ribbon that I spent a week developing didn't carry into Creo View 5. 😞  We have a custom ribbon and preferences pushed out to users. 

BTW, your picture showing the issue has the preference set...not unset as you stated above. 

mschulze
13-Aquamarine

Which picture do you mean?

• cache_location_not_set.jpg: enables the cache, but disables the cache_location => Window pop's up
    the cache_location is commented out (XML syntax <!-- some text --> )
BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Yes, I was referring to cache location not set.  I was curious so I tested our install of Creo View 5 F000 Build 26.  My process was to go to the %appdata% folder and remove all files in the product view folder to represent a fresh start.   I then launched Creo View with the MCAD license.  On this launch, the customized ribbon, preferences along with our custom gnomon from our server files all showed up.  (my previous test resulted in ribbon not showing up).  When I went to the options user interface as you have shown in picture, I didn't get any popup on entry or exit.  I'm sure your process is different, but mine worked fine on this day for this test. 🙂

I'm happy with the cache folder being the default location as a workaround...for anybody that wants to force a specific location, then we will need your idea to be implemented.  If I run into your issue, than will definitely follow up.   

mschulze
13-Aquamarine

did you go to GLOBAL option?

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Yes.

Trying the reply in email instead of the website. See if this works...

mschulze
13-Aquamarine

I just posted an enhancement request, to support the cache_location in the server_prefs.xml.

Please support Idea: 579454

Top Tags