cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Is there a way to print the sBOM in Creo Illustrate?

nlewis
7-Bedrock

And is there a way to compare to sBOM's in Creo Illustrate - two different models?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

There isn't anyway to print the sBOM directly from illustrate but you can export the sBOM as an xml file from structure edit mode (Home ribbon) and then open/print the xml file.

No way to compare two sBOM's either, is there a specific reason for wanting to do a compare between sBOM's rather than comparing the source data structures?

Creo View 5.1 will have the ability to compare assembly structures.

nlewis
7-Bedrock
(To:agarland)

This question is in reference to the other question that I posted.

Since I cannot get the model to maintain state, I had hoped to compare the sBOM of the model before I added the assembly, to the one after I added the assembly.

That way I could compare the two and turn off the parts in the modified version that need to be turned off.

That will be a significant amount of work, several hundreds or thousands of parts. But at the present it seems like the only way to do it.

By 'turning off' I assumeo you mean unchecking in the eBOM?

I guess you are then importing an sBOM file via the import sBOM option?

Apologies for the questions but I'd like to fully undertsand the workflow before commenting again.

nlewis
7-Bedrock

All we have is an sBOM.

Engineering outputs .pvz files from Creo® Parametric.

When we get the model it only has an sBOM, no eBOM.

As an aside, if the engineers turn off a part or a layer, that is not available to us. We cannot turn it on. It does not show in the file we receive.

So is this an update to the source data you are importing?

IE; you have created an illustration with figures (hence the hiding parts) but the CAD data has been updated and it is when you import this update that the parts that were hidden in the figures are now visible again.

If this is not the case could you give me a detailed breakdown of the workflow you are following so I can try to understand what is happening.

Also let me know what version/edition (is it essentials).

Thanks

nlewis
7-Bedrock

Our manuals normally present a generic common machine. Those parts remain checked. All other parts get unchecked.

If Engineering creates a new option, they make a .pvz file to add to the hierarchy of the original model.

We were using Creo Illustrate version 3. We now use version 4.

I opened the main model and began to import the new .pvz file by link.

A dialogue box came up that asked if I wanted to always update or update after confirmation. I chose update after confirmation only.

The next box to come up had the title of "New Figure". In the 3D box were four items. The top three items, as I looked at them were not the model that I currently had open. They seemed to be previous models of the machine.

At the lower right of the box are: Create, with a drop down menu, and Close.

Regardless of which option I select (create or close), the additional information is brought in and used.

What determines the import selection? How can I get it to just import the new option (the new .pvz file).

Thanks.

By the sounds of it the new pvz contains all parts and not just the newly added ones.

If that is the case then I would suggest that you do a manual update rather than importing a new data file as that just gets added to the sBOM. What it sounds like you have is all versions of the CAD data in the sBOM so those three items you are seeing in the new figure dialog are the previous versions of the data.

To do an update ie; replace the existing source data with a new data file do the following.

1. Go to File>Info
  2. Hover the mouse over the source data you want to update
  3. In the dialog that pops up choose 'Update Link'
  4. Browse to the new file and select it, hit Open
  5. Choose 'Save and reload' in the pop up message

This should update the source data, any new parts will be in the sBOM but not turned on (unchecked) and any parts that had been turned off in your figures should still be turned off.

One setting to check is in the options dialog, Options>Global>General>Loading

On this page there is a sBOM generation section, this is where you can control whether new data gets added to the sBOM automatically or not. There is a checkbox for updates, unchecking this will mean that any new parts will not get added to the sBOM automatically so you can go into edit structure mode and compare the sBOM against the eBOM (which will be the new data structure). Any items in the eBOM with a yellow icon rather than blue have not been added to the sBOM.

If you are running essentials you do not have edit structure mode so all new parts are automatically added to the sBOM.

Top Tags