Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make UNDO actually undo across all of Creo

Aquamarine

Make UNDO actually undo across all of Creo

I just want to be able to undo anything I just did in any area of Creo (like every other program I have ever used). 

Details:

Currently it works really well (as it is supposed to) in Sketcher mode but other than that it is closer to a joke.  First day I train a new person to ProE/Creo I tell them save often and don't expect the undo command to work (when it does work it is like winning the lotto).

I go to move multiple draft entities but because it may be a short line I selected Creo assumes that I wanted the endpoint and it ends up extending the line in an impossible way to undo (even when I still have it selected I cannot unselect it...it is too late)...I cannot undo!  I think we could all add our own examples of not being able to undo in various areas of Creo, so feel free to add some more in the comments area.

Please make undo work in all areas of Creo. 

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Make UNDO actually undo across all of Creo

Highlighted

And also it would be good if you were able to run a J-Link action listener in the background of your Creo session and not have it automatically kill the undo functionality.

Similarly when editing a drawing "symbol", nothing can be undone in that interface.  NOTHING!

My user's example below - Creo 2 Parametric M140

Undo.JPG

We would like to use UNDO for change the COLOR of model. (Appearance Gallery)

This is the best "product idea" ever. I wonder if they have actually not considered making functionality that works before. If that thought never occurred to them before I doubt that suggesting it now will all of a sudden make sense to them. This is the perfect example of how the PTC coding work is implemented. more than 3 points = do it

1 pt would spamming this new feature in online marketing materials trick someone into buying our product? yes = 1 pt

1 pt do we need to actually finish the idea to include it in a release? no = 1 pt

1 pt is this idea something we have previously coded but isn't included in the current release?

yes = 1pt

-2 pt would this require us removing or fixing existing code that wasn't in the last update? yes = -2 pt

Undo is the first functionality that programmers learn how to build in app development. If they aren't willing/able to do that correctly in this program then that shows that their code complexity and lack of organization has increased beyond their control. Any new updates will mostly need to be additional code in order to coexist in their management model.

The general trick I learned in Creo 3 is that Undo (CTRL-Z)  and Redo (CTRL-Y) often works well inside of feature creation/edit but will reset as soon as you change screens (e.g. accept the feature). I used to think the Undo-Redo system didn't work at all but that's not the case.

If it didn't work at all there were be little confusion of what was undoable and what was not undoable.  Because it is mixed I tell users pretend that it doesn't exist and don't depend on it.  If you need it and it works thank God.  Otherwise have the habit of saving frequently and if you are using PDMLink than check the time and use the Workspace frames.

Undo feature would be VERY useful, like it is in some features,  Creo2 did seem to take a step in the right direction (even if a baby step), because when upgrading from WF4 to Creo2 I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was more actions that were undoable, though I could not list them now.

More undo-redo would be helpful but I trying to help people understand how to maximize their current situation by understanding the general logic that PTC has employed. Let's take a scenario of creating an extrude:

• Create a plane - undo-redo works while defining the references
  • Click Ok - Resets undo-redo
  • Click on the extrude button with plane selected - goes directly into sketching
  • Create sketch - redo-undo generally works within the sketcher
  • Change depth of the extrude - undo-redo works although I found it was a little glitchy with some of the other options in Creo 3 M060. Likely should be reported as a bug to PTC.

Works the same for rounds:

• Click round button
  • Select edges, add sets, change round types, change transitions, or any other options. Undo-redo generally works like a charm while playing with these settings. Can be really useful if you accidentally selected something you didn't want on a complicated round.