cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Part Cross-Section in Sketch

defunct09252018
3-Visitor

Part Cross-Section in Sketch

I have not figured out a way to get a cross-section of a part's geometry onto a sketch so that I can then use it to create subsequent features. Hopefully the attached screenshots help to illustrate what I want to do.

My goal is to get the blue sketch line shown around the truncated cone in the first image driven from the model geometry. I have artificially created it for these images. The plane shown is a datum plane offset from the plane that is used to set the top of the cone.

CROSS-SECTION-1.PNG

This is the VIEW cross-section shown on the plane. This is the the circle that I want to sketch and have driven by the conical feature. If the diameter of the cone changes, or the position of the cone moves, I want the driven sketch to update accordingly.

CROSS-SECTION-2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

You want to "create curve from cross-section" from the datum submenu. Once you have that curve, you can project that into your sketch using the project feature in sketcher.

Copy paste surfaces and intersect it with the plane.

Good point. Since you can only do this as a reference in the sketch, you could offset the surface by zero and intersect that surface with any plane.

This method seems to be the most straight-forward of those presented. I think it'll get me what I need. Thanks.

Sure would be nice if there was a tool available directly in Sketch mode, though, that didn't require the intermediary step(s).

It all depends on the priority of the feature relation you need here. It is not uncommon to create a sketch of the post (revolve) and place a geometry (datum) point in the sketch for future reference.

What I do try to avoid is using silhouette curves as references. They tend to fail a lot!

I am also curious what your next feature is going to be? The "creat curve..." is pretty easy, though.

Top Tags