cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

"Attach" an Axis to a Part?

TomBurton
1-Newbie

"Attach" an Axis to a Part?

Is there a way to "attach" an axis or coordinate system to a part? In the Tools tab, if I select a part, click on Coordinate System, then click on an edge of the part, a coordinate system (CSYSn) will be created with one of the axes along the edge. So far so good!

If I then go to the Home tab, select the part, and select Rotation Mode, I can then Right-Click on the part, select Location from the window that appears, and click on Select Coordinate System from the drop down menu. I can click on the coordinate system created above and that coordinate system will show in the Select Coordinate System window. I click OK, and the "rotation ball" shifts so I can rotate the part about the new axis. Again, so far so good.

However, if I move the part (using Translation Mode), the coordinates created above stay where they were, instead of moving along with the part! At this point, I can no longer rotate the part about the axis I created. Is there a way to "attach" the coordinate system to the part so it wiill move along with the part?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tom Burton

2 REPLIES 2

Tom,

Construction datums are not associated with any geometry and so will stay fixed in space when you translate the objects. There is no way to tie the 2 together. Once you have moved the objects you will need to create a new axis.

Tim

Tim -

At least I know not to waste more time trying to do it! Still seems like it would be useful, but at least I know the reality.

Thanks,

Tom

Top Tags