cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How do I open .3cdi files while in Creo Illustrate?

nlewis
7-Bedrock

How do I open .3cdi files while in Creo Illustrate?

When I use Creo Illustrate, and do a File\import\Link\ I get a list of .pvz files that the program will open from inside the program. A .3cdi file will not open from inside Creo Illustrate.

However, If I double click on a .3cdi file (and Creo Illustrate has not been started), Creo Illustrate starts up and the .3cdi file is opened without any problem.

I am still fairly new to Creo Illustrate so the answer to my question may be quite obvious. Please help me to understand.

We use both types of files where I work and do not differentiate any (at this time) between the two forms  -.pvz and .3cdi -. What is the difference?

Why does Creo have to handle them differently?

Thank you.

Neal Lewis

Technical Writer AGCO Corp.

2 REPLIES 2
tmenadue
7-Bedrock
(To:nlewis)

Neal,

The PVZ file is linkable because it is the CAD source information you will use to create the .c3di. The c3di file is the native file format for Illustrate. If you want to open a c3di, you use the File>Open instead of Import>Link. Since Illustrate is not a design tool that creates geometry, you need to start with geometry (PVZ). Linking the c3di to the PVZ makes sure the geometry stays up to date with the CAD source. Does that help?

nlewis
7-Bedrock
(To:nlewis)

Thanks Trish!

You answered a question for several of us.

Neal Lewis

Technical Writer

AGCO

Tel +1620 3275551   Fax +1620 3275536  

PO Box 4300 420 W. Lincoln Boulevard

Hesston, KS 67062-2094 USA

1. -

1. www.AGCOcorp.com blog.AGCOcorp.com
  2. facebook.com/AGCOcorp   twitter.com/AGCOcorp youtube.com/AGCOcorp
Top Tags