cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

converting cross sections to the new format

DougBell
9-Granite

converting cross sections to the new format

PTC had advertised a new 3D sweep feature for Creo 4.0 before it came out.  But the feature was delayed and slated for Creo 5.0. 

Now, the Creo 5.0 sneak peak web page mentions a 3D Helical Sweep feature, but not the more generic Milling 3D Sweep.  Does anyone know if the Milling 3D Sweep feature is still planned for Creo 5.0?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DougBell)

That's a good catch. I saw volumetric 3d sweep and missed that is was specifically HELICAL.

Very disappointing if it's only helical.

Generalized 3D sweeps are difficult. I did some by hand back in the 1980s and it takes some effort to get decent analytical surfaces. Surfaces generated in the early steps get submerged and need to be trimmed or completely eliminated in the later steps. I've posted links to papers on the subject before, but that was several years ago and if they were of value to the developers I'm sure they read them already.

I wonder if another difficulty is creating an interface for users to generate the solid body motion path to manage 6 degrees of freedom unambiguously.

Constantin
13-Aquamarine
(To:dschenken)

It is a shame that it gets postponed. We have some stong use cases for it.
Even more so because of the fact that I have seen it in a live demo of Creo 4 (in 2016) already (with 'parallel' and 'perpendicular' axis).

I wonder what went wrong....

Top Tags