cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Animations

pauldelong
1-Newbie

Animations

Hi Gurus,

Does anyone know how an animation can be converted from a mpeg to an avi? if so, is high resoluton possible?

thanks,
Paul DeLong

3 REPLIES 3
Dmi3U
15-Moonstone
(To:pauldelong)

Paul,

just google for "mpeg to avi" and you will find tons of free converters.

D

cdown
4-Participant
(To:pauldelong)

Guru's,
Hi there all we have a user who is creating animations (not got
much experience with these) and he is having an issue with this bombing
out whilst saving and rendering as an .avi file.

does anyone have any type of guidelines to creating animation ie, how many
frames to base it on and which settings to use, which they would be
willing to share?.

I am guessing that these are pretty much based on what is the spec of the
machine (ours 4GB ram) but any sort of guidelines or standard setting
would be helpful.

We are using Creo 2.0 M020

Many thanks

Colin Down
Mechanical Design Engineer
Email: -
Tel: +44 1305 208503

The information in this e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it are provided in commercial confidence for the intended recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the Postmaster by e-mail at -. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of DEK.

For local company specific legal information for your country or region and any local contact information for DEK, please refer to:

Hi Colin...

I have a good bit of experience with animations. I might be able to lend some advice. First, your frame rate really depends upon what you're trying to do with your final output. The frame rate for video is 30 FPS but you can cut that down to 24 FPS (which is the frame rate for film). This will reduce your frame count and your final file size.

Even with the frame rate set lower, you might still have a problem getting the AVI to render. In this case, my best advice is to chunk the animation into pieces rather than trying to render one large monolithic file. Create multiple smaller animations (or render the animation in small sections) and then stitch them back together later. In the video industry this is called "fixing it in post". You'll also be able to gauge quality using the smaller animations and adjust accordingly.

Do you know what settings your animator is trying to use? If so, having those to look at might help with a diagnosis.

One final note... if you have access to Creo View licenses with the animation option, you can create some very nice animations using this product. If you're trying to animate mechanisms or simulate real-world motion then the animation package inside Creo is the way to go. Personally I try to stay away from that Creo animation package unless I absolutely have to use it. I use Creo View for most of my animation work but I am lucky to work for an employer that has the necessary licenses.

Let me know what animation settings your user is working with and I'll give you my feedback if I think I can improve on them.

Best regards,
-Brian

Brian K. Martin
Sr. Mechanical/Application Engineer
SGT, Inc. under contract to
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

301.286.0059 (NASA Office)
443.421.2532 (Cell)
-

Follow me on Twitter @CreoHelp<">https://twitter.com/CreoHelp>
Follow me on PTC Community<">http://communities.ptc.com/index.jspa>
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags