cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Can Creo read .asc files?

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

Can Creo read .asc files?

We have a large number of .asc files created back when Methuselah was a lad in I-Deas MS7. I have been asked if we can read these with Creo when we move to it from WF4 and to WIN7 and there is no mention of it in any of the documentation I have read. I-Deas will run in Win 7 but it has no support so IT would like to see it's use discontinued.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:mashton-2)

Well we tried reading a .asc drawing file from I-Deas into Creo and no go. The Medusa .asc must be a different format. So we will have to keep I-deas for editing legacy drawings.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The file type is there in Creo 2. I have never tried an Ideas file in Creo. Did back in the 2000i timeframe.
ideas.jpg

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:DeanLong)

Thanks Dean I will have a look and try that when I can get a machine loaded with Creo, every time we allocate a PC another one falls over and it gets taken away to plug the gap.

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:mashton-2)

Well we tried reading a .asc drawing file from I-Deas into Creo and no go. The Medusa .asc must be a different format. So we will have to keep I-deas for editing legacy drawings.

That's a bummer....

How many "files" are in play with this potential dilemma you have on your hands?

There is always the old standard of exporting .dxf or .igs from I-Deas and then controlling them from Creo. Meaning, since your intent is to control  drawings (I.E. 2-D entities) what's the difference whether in Creo or I-Deas? As painful as it might be for a little while, getting that data translated over to Creo is a better situation than maintaining a dog like SDRC.

D

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

There are thousands rather than hundreds. I suggested converting to .dxf's  about 10 years ago but the management didn't like the idea on the basis that the most complex drawing won't translate. I believe that most other drawings would be OK apart from the text fonts. It would be a perfect task for an intern or student/apprentice.

In it's day I-deas master series was a good product but time marches on and it's a bit old hat now.

Martin....was curious if you are trying to import 3D with the 2D or just 2D?

Have you tried looking at all the import config settings (hidden ones as well)? We ran SDRC as well "back in the day" along side Pro and I remember doing some translating and it wasn't as simple as putting bread in the toaster. We did need to do some extra stuff.

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

Only 2d drawings. There were some projects that were done on 3d Master Series but they are obsolete now so very few would have come from 3d. However some big and long running projects were done on 2d and they are the ones which we need to maintain for support contracts.

I will make a note to have look at the config settings when we get Creo deployed.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags