cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Closed coil Ground end Helical spring

ptc-2136807
1-Newbie

Closed coil Ground end Helical spring

Gurus,

Anybody knows how to create a helical spring model with closed coil and
grounded ends.

Thanks,
Dinesha MD
1 REPLY 1
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:ptc-2136807)

I'm sure this has been answered multiple times before but rather than chide you for not searching, here is the process:

I like to start all parts with default datums then offset as many as needed to define the overall envelope. In this case, I would have a top and a bottom that correspond the the finished ground length.

The first solid feature is a helical sweep with variable pitch. The first sketch is just a straight line that extends from .75 wire diameters below the bottom datum to .75 diameters above the top datum. Sketch additional points along this line so you can control the pitch. The pitch has to start and end equal to the wire diameter fro the closed ends then transition to the effective pitch diameter then be constant before transitioning back down to the wire diameter. The second sketch is just the wire diameter.

Once you have the helical sweep just do a revolved or extruded cut to trim the ends. You will end up with a 270 degree witness on the ends.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags