cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Copying Rules based Simplified Rep. Definitions

ToddWoodall
10-Marble

Copying Rules based Simplified Rep. Definitions

‌Is anyone aware of a way to copy Simplified Rep. definitions containing rules from one model to another, so they don't have to be setup individually in each model. I know I could setup a mapkey and create them, but it seems like there would be an easier way.

Thanks in advance............

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think you can transfer the simp rep definition as a whole from one assembly to another, but as far as i remember Creo should allow you to save each rule definition from the Rule Editor window, and then let you load those into a different model, both using some sort of Options menu that is supposed to be at the bottom right of the Rule Editor window.

I'm not really sure what's exactly under that menu, and can't check right now. So, let me know in case you have any trouble finding it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I'm guessing you are looking at two assemblies that have the same subassembly and want to copy the references used in one to the other.

I think you can't do that, but you can make a simplified rep of the subassembly and substituting that rep in higher level assembly simplified reps.

If the subassembly is X, then you can create a simplified rep in X called X-simplified, then in assembly A and assembly B you could create simplified reps that replaced X with X-simplified, rather than simply turning components on and off. So, while you can't copy the status of components that are part of X in assembly A to assembly B you can have the same simplified version of X in both assemblies. For individual parts assembled in A, there's not a way to copy the status of them to B.

It is the frustrating thing of the GUI that what is probably a simple array is not accessible more directly. I can guess there is a lot of verification behind the scenes that prevents things like excluding components that aren't part of the assembly as well as the notion that the list is actually a list of pointers to entries in multiple locations and not just a simple to copy list of names. I'll bet if someone was motivated to do so a Toolkit app could do this; maybe the functions are available in JLink or Weblink or the VB API.

I don't think you can transfer the simp rep definition as a whole from one assembly to another, but as far as i remember Creo should allow you to save each rule definition from the Rule Editor window, and then let you load those into a different model, both using some sort of Options menu that is supposed to be at the bottom right of the Rule Editor window.

I'm not really sure what's exactly under that menu, and can't check right now. So, let me know in case you have any trouble finding it.

mbrockman
6-Contributor
(To:James62)

We have the rule definitions set up in our start parts.  I have found that the only way to copy rules from 1 assy is to "redefine" the rule. this will copy the definitions to the clipboard.  In the other assy, create a rule and the contents of that rule will then auto populate the fields. Save rule and repeat.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags