cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Creating a 3D model from pictures on a plane

MatthewHawkins
1-Newbie

Creating a 3D model from pictures on a plane

I saw a video recently where a shell of a car was created in Creo parametric by pulling out shapes from pictures imbedded in the planes. The setup was started with the front, back, top and side planes containing the appropreate pictures. I would also like to do this, but i have no idea how to insert a .jpg image into the respective plane. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matthew,

You can insert the images on datum planes or surfaces using

1. View > Model Display > Images.

2. Add > Select plane or surface > Open image > Ok

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Matthew,

You can insert the images on datum planes or surfaces using

1. View > Model Display > Images.

2. Add > Select plane or surface > Open image > Ok

I also suggest using bitmap (,bmp) files. They tend to work where other formats tend to fail.

you might also include some scaling features in the images to aid alignment and sizing.

Brilliant, thanks. Do you also happen to know any tricks in order to get the pictures to line up with each other? I am doing it by eye at the moment and it isn't too bad but it would be nice to draw a edge line on the two perpendicular pictures and 'snap' them together.

Put a common "dot" in each image that you want to line up with datum planes and other images. Targets if you will.

Put the view flat to the screen and drag the image until your target aligns with datum planes or axes. If all your images are scaled the same, you can use the same scale for your image settings in Creo.

Yep, that worked wonderfully, thank you.

Was a picture of snakes?

Nah, i'm sick and tired of snakes on these planes.

Snakes on a plane...

cosine-curve_90.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Hah!

kaerts
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

Hello,

I like to do this to, start a model form a picture....

"pulling out shapes from picture"???

Do you mean extrude?

Do you have a printscreen??

Thank you for the info,

To answer your extrude question, yes and no. After playing around with it a bit in some cases it is just fine to extrude of the shape from the plane but for shapes/surfaces that do not stay true to the x-y-z i preffer to use curved lines and the 'style' feature. As for the extrude it is easier to produce the bulk but, harder when adding detail.

mini.png

what does that mean

Its a pun on a movie... and some other discussions. Sorry, we get a little giddy here from time to time.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags