cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo Parametric 1.0 Could not read .stl

ptc-4464984
1-Newbie

Creo Parametric 1.0 Could not read .stl

Hello,

I got some stl files from the software guys at my company. When I tried to open them in Creo they would not display in the file open window, even when I selected all files. I have been told that Creo will only display files it can open, which in my opinion is silly. When you select all files you should actually get to see all the files.

Anyway, I then used blender to open the .stl and it works fine. I exported it with blender as a new .stl with a different name and tried to use Creo to open that file. This time it does show it as an .stl file but when I open it I get the message 'Could not read STL file.' I tried exporting it as ascii as well, but no change.

Anyone have any ideas? The .stl format is pretty standardized I can not understand why a free program like blender can open the file and my powerful ProE program can't. Attached is one of the stl files.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for my frustration. I hate when simple things become complicated.

Josh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joshua,

In the older versions of Pro/E, like Wildfire 2, .stl, .stp, .igs files, etc. would not show up in the 'File, Open' list if they had a filename which included spaces, or which was longer than (I think) 32 characters.

Very frustrating!

I think it probably still applies to later versions, too.

Regards,

John

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Joshua,

In the older versions of Pro/E, like Wildfire 2, .stl, .stp, .igs files, etc. would not show up in the 'File, Open' list if they had a filename which included spaces, or which was longer than (I think) 32 characters.

Very frustrating!

I think it probably still applies to later versions, too.

Regards,

John

John,

Thank you so much for that. I had run into that before when trying to save files from Pro/E but not the other way around. I can understand the problem with specal characters and space in names, but a simple warning or forcing me to rename it when I open it would be nice.

Honestly, this program is so powerful and awesome. But little things like this drag it down and really take away from the good.

Thanks again,

Josh

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags