Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo Parametric Maintenance & Licensing

Level 1

Creo Parametric Maintenance & Licensing

Can someone tell me what happens if a company discontinues their maintenence with PTC. Does their network license get modified some way that their software stops working, or do they just loose their tech support and upgrades?

Thanks,

Matt

• Direct
  • Parametric
32 REPLIES
Level 12

Re: Creo Parametric Maintenance & Licensing

Matt, if you don't pay for maintenance your license file doesn't change.

You have no more tech support or upgrade and, if your SW return in maintenance, you have to pay for all the years you haven't paid.

Marco

Marco
Level 1

Marco,

PTC's reseller can't or won't just sell you a new seat of Parametric at full price say 5-10 years later without paying the 5-10 years in back maintenance?

Matt

Community Champion

Actually, you only pay 12 months back plus the year forward. If you've been inactive for less than a year, you only pay for the time you've been inactive. We did this back in 2009 when the economy tanked, coming back to maintenance in 2012, I think. Nice thing was, because they were interested in our return, we could renegotiate what we owned and reduce our maintenance bill substantially. We tried to negotiate in 2009, but they wouldn't budge then.

However, PTC has no written policy for this that I know of. They can change it at will, and have in the past. When we dropped maintenance in 2009 it was only 9 months, I believe, but it changed to 12 months by the time we renewed.

As far as repurchasing, as I understand PTC wants you to renew rather that re-buy. Two year's of maintenance is cheaper than a new seat. And, as I said, once you're off for a while they are eager to get you back and more flexible.

--
Doug Schaefer | Director of Design and Engineering
Concept Engineering
Level 12

Yes, but it depends how much you have to pay.

Maintenance cost about 20% of every SW license, then you have to apply your discount on MNT (30-40-50%)?

So if you have 50 % of discount then you pay 10% of the value of the the license every year, therefore reactivating maintenance it's worth.

Marco

Marco
Community Champion

Wow, I want to know how to get 50% off maintenance.

Like others said, licenses are permanent. The only functionality you will lose is access to technical support and possibly some of the online help content. The software will keep running just fine.

No matter how long you've been off maintenance, you will never pay more to get back on than new-purchase price. As others mentioned, PTC will typically become very flexible when trying to get you back on maintenance.

If you're still on maintenance, and not yet running the latest version of everything, make sure you request new licenses and download all current versions of the software before your maintenance expires.

Level 1

if you have more than one license then you should have atleast 51% of individual license seats under maintenance....

otherwise they would stop your current maintenance..also.

Level 12

Tom,

we are not a very big factory, because we have about 150 seats of Windchill and a little bit more of 50 Creo.

But when we renewed our three years maintenance agreement with PTC, we also have planned a list of possible developement project on Windchill.

For this project we are required to buy some SW, so we discuss with PTC about buying SW and have less maintenance to pay.

Depending on how much SW we could buy, PTC have proposed us three different amount of discount.

Then it was all about negotiation.

Marco
Level 1

Sorry for digging up an old post but there's not much info out there and my question seems relevant to this conversation.

We have 7 seats of Creo, including 1 Flex 3c, 1 Eng II, and 2 ISDX and AAX addons  so our maintenance was coming in pretty high this year. and the reality is, we're still on Creo 3, and we are using more and more SolidWorks, because this is what our clients are asking for.

So we thought it prudent to look at down scaling our support (after our reseller trying to push us to subscription) to just 4 heavy seats. We were then told that if we do this, we would have to relinquish our licences that are no longer on support.. have anyone ever heard of this? so we couldn't run our 3 Creo parametric licences that we no longer have support for even though we bought the software outright?

any info appreciated.. but I'm tempted to just drop support completely (we only use it for software upgrades and right now we are on creo 3, moved to creo 4 when ever a client wants us to which we currently have licences for and move any other workload we have to solidworks and deal with creo 5 if / when we need to..) 

really frustrated right now to be honest...

Community Champion

It all depends on how the licenses are 'upgraded'. If PTC is combining some sub-licenses into new bundled functionality, they could be removing some core licenses from your pool to lower costs. You can also just stop paying maintenance on certain modules to freeze them and work withy the current functionality.

I have 8 licenses on active maintenance and 7 inactive. I can use all 15 if 7 users are on Wildfire 4, I think is when we stopped. The other 8 are currently set for Creo 3.