cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo Windchill interface improvement.

MSav
4-Participant

Creo Windchill interface improvement.

I have an interface improvement that is open for voting. Please join to vote.

<h3>General Status, Modified Status and Local Workspace Status.</h3>

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/4830#comment-15062

18 REPLIES 18
DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock
(To:MSav)

That's all available right now.

[cid:image002.png@01CFEF60.AA57E6A0]

* FRANKENSTEIN = part number ... [0000000261 in your example]

* 1.0 = version (revision and iteration) ... [ -.5 in your example]

* + = modified

* Concept = life cycle state ... [In Work for your example]

* It even shows the workspace you're currently working in (In this case, Senchuk)

It's a config setting to show this at the top of your window.

Upload can be done automatically (and should IMO) every time a file is saved. Check in can be added to the Quick Access toolbar.

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Forgot to add:

display_full_object_path YES
dm_upload_objects AUTOMATIC

TomU
23-Emerald IV

That still doesn't help you know if an object is out of date, modified but not eligible for upload, or checked out.

Tom U.
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 10/24/14 07:33, Uminn, Tom wrote:
>
> That still doesn't help you know if an object is out of date, modified but not eligible for upload,
>

In Windchill 10.2 and Creo Parametric 2.0 M080+ all modified objects are eligible for upload. This
is called "Universal Upload"

> *Subject:* [proecad] - RE: Creo Windchill interface improvement.
>
> That's all available right now.
>
> ·FRANKENSTEIN = part number … [0000000261 in your example]
>
> ·1.0 = version (revision and iteration) … [ -.5 in your example]
>
> ·+ = modified
>
> ·Concept = life cycle state … [In Work for your example]
>
> ·It even shows the workspace you're currently working in (In this case, Senchuk)
>
> It's a config setting to show this at the top of your window.
>
> Upload can be done automatically (and should IMO) every time a file is saved. Check in can be
> added to the Quick Access toolbar.
>
> *From:*Marco Savary [
> *Subject:* [proecad] - Creo Windchill interface improvement.
>
> I have an interface improvement that is open for voting. Please join to vote.
>
>
> General Status, Modified Status and Local Workspace Status.
>
>
TomU
23-Emerald IV

My point wasn't that you couldn't upload them, it was that nothing suggested would improve visibility of these other statuses in the active window. It would be great to know if an object is checked out or out of date without having to go look in the workspace.
MSav
4-Participant

Sorry guys is not available now.

The whole idea is to be Creocencetric as much we can, and put Windchill behind the scenes where is belong.

So I made a mockup of the interface improvement. -You don't have to open the browser to see the status. It is big time saver.

PTC pay attention to us!

Please Vote.

MSav
4-Participant

You can't display:
Checked out, New Locally and more...

MSav
4-Participant

If you have as fast network speed this is a sound settings "dm_upload_objects AUTOMATIC"., but it does not work for me. My files are too big for that configuration.

But thanks for pointing out that, you can see the PLUS sign after the interation "-5+". I did not noticed that, but you still can't dysplay other status infos.

Is not a perfect idea but it is a start.

Does anyone knows if that can be done using ProE Tool Kit, VB or Java?

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

Forgot to add:

display_full_object_path YES
dm_upload_objects AUTOMATIC

kimndave9
1-Newbie

As long as Windchill is a Pull system the user can never know the status of objects without specifically running a query or update; the information is not available to the user unless the user asks for it. Under the Pull system, the only way around this is to continuously poll Commonspace for status. Continous poll is not going to make anyone happy.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

If they could do it in ProductPoint they ought to be able to do it in Windchill. It had real-time notification in the Pro/e session anytime something changed that you had open.

My 2 cents worth...
kimndave9
1-Newbie

This thread is about a request to change how Creo displays information. WIthout changing Windchill to a Push system, there can be no enhancement to Creo to allow it to display information the Windchill client doesn't have.

As you know, ProductPoint was built on SharePoint, an entirely different platform, and is no longer available.

The only objection I've gotten to a Windchill Push system is the bad behavior of a third-party app that could be resolved in a number of ways.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

"Without changing Windchill to a Push system, there can be no enhancement to Creo to allow it to display information the Windchill client doesn't have."
I disagree. The Windchill client does have this information. Out of date status and checked out status are both already visible in the workspace just like state and version. All that is being asked for is the ability to display this information directly in the Creo client. No push is required. Anytime the workspace is refreshed the Creo session will simply reflect it (again, just like it does now for lifecycle state).

MSav
4-Participant

I don't see the gripe about Pushing or Receiving. It is not that important and I would let PTC programmer’s argue between themselves. I can say this:

If I drag and drop a part into Creo and save it to my workspace, Creo is the one pushing up the status, attributes,… and not Windchill. That is how I see it.

The main idea is for Creo to take over some of the info that is on the Browser. BTW we already can display about 80% that I’m proposing with ”display_full_object_path YES”. It is only missing 2 items.

I think this improvement is very small and attainable, and may not add much for some users, but If we all vote for it, this will be a big step for all the members of the ProUser groups. An enhancement voted and done by us. By the users for the users.

And if PTC does not respond one way or another, it will be a big letdown. No users will bother to participate again.

Please Vote in favor or against.

In Reply to David Schenken:

As long as Windchill is a Pull system the user can never know the status of objects without specifically running a query or update; the information is not available to the user unless the user asks for it. Under the Pull system, the only way around this is to continuously poll Commonspace for status. Continous poll is not going to make anyone happy.

kimndave9
1-Newbie

"Anytime the workspace is refreshed the Creo session will simply reflect it (again, just like it does now for lifecycle state)."

That's exactly what Pull means. The user is not notified that the model he has opened is in any state until that information has been Pulled by request from Commonspace. The state could change one second later, and the Workspace would not be current, unless the user Pulled the information from Commonspace at least that frequently.

If the user opens a model and works on it and saves it, he will not be notified that someone else has checked it out until the Workspace is updated with status information that the Workspace client has to Pull using a request from Commonspace.Only then will it be clear the modifications are either going to require discarding and re-doing or Integration.

This is in distinct difference from a Push system, where the modified model would be flagged without any user-side action on the client to refresh the Workspace status. The Push system would allow a flag to be raised within some arbitrary small amount of time after the Commonspace status of the part changed.

kimndave9
1-Newbie

"If I drag and drop a part into Creo and save it to my workspace, Creo is the one pushing up the status, attributes,… and not Windchill. That is how I see it."

Creo is Pushing a request, but Pulling the results. This is about Windchill status getting to the client, and that is only available from Pulling.

Suppose one of these two conditions:

1) Someone who knows you sends you a gift.

2) To get a gift you have to ask everyone you know if they are going to send you a gift, which they won't send until you ask. If they don't have it at the time, but decide to get one later, you have to ask everyone again.

The first is the Push system; the second is a Pull system.

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:kimndave9)

Hi David,

that sounds very much like a Lean principle. That is great

Thank you for the example. I will surely use it as part of my demo that Windchill supports many of the lean concept and principle in knowledge work.

Best regards

MSav
4-Participant

Yep. Interesting,sure, Push, Pull, OK. Therefore PTC programers cannot acomplish this mild tweak, or this is a bad improvement?

Sorry to Push to vote, but we may Pull some results.

Please Vote in favor or against.

In Reply to David Schenken:

"If I drag and drop a part into Creo and save it to my workspace, Creo is the one pushing up the status, attributes,… and not Windchill. That is how I see it."

Creo is Pushing a request, but Pulling the results. This is about Windchill status getting to the client, and that is only available from Pulling.

Suppose one of these two conditions:

1) Someone who knows you sends you a gift.

2) To get a gift you have to ask everyone you know if they are going to send you a gift, which they won't send until you ask. If they don't have it at the time, but decide to get one later, you have to ask everyone again.

The first is the Push system; the second is a Pull system.

llie
16-Pearl

Tom,

To answer your original question, all of the shown in the image below are
OOTB (Out of the Box). What you need to do is create a CUSTOM view for your
users.

If you place you mouse over the icon it will tell you the meaning.

Yellow box - checked out to me
+ - modified locally
clock - out of date object
person icon - object checked out by John Doe or whoever

Lance Lie
Sr. Info Sys Technologist II
Global Business Services - Information Technology
Raytheon Company

714-446-2806 (office)
714-402-7858 (cell)
-

1801 Hughes Way
Fullerton, CA 92833 USA
www.raytheon.com

This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the
addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or
any information contained in this message. If you have received this
message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags