cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Curvature Continuous

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Curvature Continuous

Can someone help me understand why the output from 'Analysis - Geometry - Curvature' doesn't look "smooth" (tangent). The geometry is constructed from 3 splines and 3 radii with curvature continuous attachments between them. Thanks.

Tom U.

[cid:image005.jpg@01CEBA94.87281440]

[cid:image007.jpg@01CEBA94.87281440] [cid:image009.jpg@01CEBA94.87281440]
5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

After more reading it appears that I was looking for "G3" or "C3" continuity, which Pro/e can't do.

DeanLong
10-Marble

Tom,

Just curious. What are you working on that requires G3? The only G3 work I have done is Automotive body design and as far as I know Mr. PTC has not been given the honor of creating stamped painted body panels anywhere in the world.

What gives?

drichards
1-Newbie

You're not using Pro-E's functionality whichproduces Curvature Continuous curves. I'm guessing you may have initially learned SolidWorks and you're expecting other CAD systems to be the same as you initially learned?

sl2741
1-Newbie

Hi Tom,

Not sure how you are creating the curves, are they all sketched? are they all part of the same sketch? are they on the same plane? After all that, you may find you get a nicer surfacing curve by copying the curve (or curve segments) and pastingas a curve, during the paste operation, change from exact to approximate.

I use this technique when surfacing to generate better surfaces. The curve you are generating using this method is called an approximate composite curve.

Hope that was helpful

Scott

mlocascio
4-Participant

That would probably be a good method. Make sure that you watch for tangency issues from curve to curve.

>
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags