cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Detailed view sectioned while view it's taken from is not.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Detailed view sectioned while view it's taken from is not.

There may be a simpler way to do this. If so, enlighten me.

I am making a detailed view (actually of a detialed view - but I digress).

DETAILED_XSEC1.jpg

I would like to make detailed view B to be sectioned (showing cross hatching) through the centerline of the screw but I can't seem to do this.

DETAILED_XSEC2.jpg

But I can make a general view, but it then doesn't have the detailed view circle.

DETAILED_XSEC3.jpg

Thanks,

Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Since the detail view is just a scaled up area of the original view, you will have to add the cross section to the original view (in your case, the view where detail A comes from. Make it a LOCAL cross section (breakout) so it only shows up in the area you need it and not the entire view.

breakout.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Since the detail view is just a scaled up area of the original view, you will have to add the cross section to the original view (in your case, the view where detail A comes from. Make it a LOCAL cross section (breakout) so it only shows up in the area you need it and not the entire view.

breakout.jpg

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

Is there then a way to turn it off in either the parent view &/or Detail A?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Nope, since it's a real detail view, you are stuck with it coming from the original view.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

Is there a way to use the detailed view boundary from the parent veiw for the detailed view boundary for Detail B?

DETAILED_XSEC4.jpg

As you can see, they don't quite line up?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Work around, just make sure your second circle (shape) is smaller that your original.DETAILED_XSEC5.jpg

This is really a function of drafting rules that have been around much longer than CAD. A detailed view, by definition, is a scaled up look at part of the original view. If the original was sectioned, the detail should be sectioned.

It's a drafting rules limitation more than a Creo limitation.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug, would there be another way to do this that is CAD/drafting correct, yet achieving the same results?

That's a bit like asking if there's a way to drive 80 MPH without actually breaking the 65 MPH speed limit.

You could make a partial, stand alone, scaled up view and place the section arrows on another view. I'd make the length of the cutting line roughly match the area you are sectioning.

This begs the question, how are you communicating where section A-A is cut? Does A-A exist elsewhere? If so, just make a detailed view from there.

--
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

Actually, I meant CAD correct (i.e. following standard guidelines) that would communicate the same idea.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction. I think either a stand alone, partial view with cutting arrows on another view or a detailed view from the main section A-A view would be how I'd handle it.

--
LinkedIn
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags