cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know how to create this model ?

Re: Does anybody know how to create this model ?

I see what you mean now Doug.  Try making all that.....with one surface instead of 6.  You should be able to reference parent planes as a normal reference at every curve.

HATE not being able to play with things like this.....  BUT, hopefully that will get solved soon.

@ Steve

Now that I've played with this method, how did you determine the diagonal section parameters.

That 3 way union radial distance isn't defined unless you start with a sphere.

I already built is as an N-Sided patch (see my original response above Re: Does anybody know how to create this model ?), I was responding to the Steven's suggestion (Re: Does anybody know how to create this model ?) to create all the curves and connect with boundary blends.  I couldn't get it to work because the tangency couldn't be solved.

Using boundary blends, I'm not sure you can do it in fewer than 6 because of the 4 curve requirement, or am I missing something?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I'm not sure how Steven did it, but you can find my model with all the curves a couple of posts above:

--
LinkedIn

I got the boundary blend to build and to be tangent, but it's not as nice as the N-Sided patch.  I think if I played with it some more, I could make it better, but I've spent too much time on it already.  The RH side & LH side in the image were built differently and the LH side came out better.  I suspect duplicating that method would yield better results.

It's attached below.

Capture.JPG

--
LinkedIn

The N-Sided surface is very nice when defining the periphery as one surface.

That section through the diagonal can be defined in many different ways but in general, it becomes a very critical junction - IF - you're going to try to define it.

I am not sure if Steve did define this and if so, using what type of feature.

Technically, I would try to specify the spherical radius for the 8 "points" of intersection.  However, it is very easy to define a really crummy surface regardless of tangency or continuity.

Looks a lot better!  Without access to a system, I'm guessing.  I'd try putting all 6 curves in direction 1, then use a normal constraint for the edges....if it will let you.  This looks interesting, it's frustrating for me that I can;t dig into it..... 

N-sided patches work great for this stuff though!

Hopefully that will change soon......

Do you have any CAD available to you, Frank?

Sadly, no, still jobless......