cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Does anyone remember ComputerVision DesignView?

sdickinson
1-Newbie

Does anyone remember ComputerVision DesignView?

Does anyone remember ComputerVision DesignView from the early '90s? I seem to recall that it was really rather good. Can anyone suggest a modern equivalent for 2D parametric sketching? Alternatively, does anyone have an old copy of DesignView I could have?

Cheers,

Sam
6 REPLIES 6

I recall that when PTC acquired ComputerVision, there was some CV
product that was renamed Pro/Desktop.
Wasn't that DesignView?

www.williams-int.com

WOW! Now I feel old...

I remember Designview back in the days when we were running CV Personal Designer.

/ INVOKE ROSE COLORED GLASSES/

COMPAQ DOS 3.1(?) on a Deskpro/386.

Vermont Microsystems Video card at (GASP) 1024x768 resolution

A 12x12 Tablet for a mouse

A 19" Mitsubishi Monitor that probably had enough radiation to take years off of my life!

(...Good times ...)

/BACK TO REALITY/

Wasn't Designview started by some of the people who eventually formed Solidworks?

BTW, as I remember, Designview was not a 'finished' product, and had some hiccups...

AFAIK, Personal Designer is/was still available on the web, without the surfacing and CAM modules.

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
PH: 724.941.5540
FX: 724.941.8322
www.fpdinc.com

Pro/DESKTOP was orginally called DesignWave when it was a secret project at ComputerVision. I was at the last Computervision conference in San Diego and had to sign a non-disclosure to see it. PTC bought them a few months later and renamed it as Pro/Desktop.

I think Design View might be referring to Personal Designer.

Joe

I think pro/desktop was originally called designwave. (I might be wrong)

Ian Turner

CAD Manager

Cobham Mission Equipment

Tel: +44 (0)1202 857747

-

Flight Refuelling Ltd trading as Cobham Mission Equipment. www.cobham.com

Registered office: Brook Road, WIMBORNE, Dorset, BH21 2BJ, England

Registered number 293529 UK

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Well fortunately some of you do...

My thanks to John for sending me copy of the software, and also to various other people for their suggestions. However I don't think there is an alterative solution to this piece of 1980's software (yes, it is that old).

I have actually put in a request to PTC that they should re-instate it because it is/was brilliant (see attached). The simplest/best 2D parametric solutionthat I can find.

Sam

PS

- Pro/DESKTOP (aka DesignWave) may have used some components of DesignView, but it was 3D whereas DesignView is pure 2D.

- DesignView was originally developed by a company called Premise (who were subsequently bought by CV). The key individuals at Premise then went on to be founding members of SolidWorks.

So there you go...

Oops forgot the attachment...
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags