cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Fasteners, Spacers and Washers

DanMarotta
2-Guest

Fasteners, Spacers and Washers

Hello Creo Users!

I was curious if anyone had designed fasteners like nuts and bolts or even stuff like spacers and washers. If you're willing to share I'd [and I'm sure other members as well] be very interested in seeing your designs. The more unusual the better.

Feel free to embed/attach them in your reply here or upload them into a photo album.

Looking forward to seeing some creative uses.

-Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:DanMarotta)

Hard to imagine having fun creating large library of nuts an bolts over long period of time.

I had made screw and nut family table parts and squized as much DIN/ISO standards in those two. Ive created it basicly to make my life easier because all library parts i could get my hands on where with either cosmetic thread or with parameters which were not compatible with my company drawing tables.Not to mention having to translate parameters that could be used to our language from those library parts.

We gona probably soon let ppl download them from our website so others can use them too.

nutsbolts.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Dan,

Has anyone designed these things? Probably most of us have. Also, nowadays, folks use libraries that have already been created for them within their organizations or from vendors. Years ago, around Rev. 16 I did a contract job to create a Family Table library of all of a company's fasteners including castle nuts and other odd things. Anyway, for the fun of it, here's a bolt.

bolt.jpg

A couple of tricks to make it more realistic. (1) Put an appropriate chamfer on the end of the bolt

before creating the Helical Sweep which generates the thread. (Cut highly preferable to Protrusion.)

(2) Sketch a 60 degree triangle for the thread section beyond the end of the bolt so it will easily cut

through the chamfer. (Use Mirror in Sketcher to make this easier.) (3) Use the abrupt flat end of the

cut as a sketching plane and Use Edge to capture its triangular shape, add a Centerline at some

distance away from the bolt axis and then create a Revolved Cut to feather the thread more naturally.

For what it's worth.

David

Oh, and for the head chamfer you can use either of two techniques. (1) Create a hex head, then

add a revolved cut for the chamfer, or (2) Create a cylindrical head, use a regular D1XD2 Chamfer, then

a hex cut.

head.jpg

Is it sort of a lost art that many take for granted since libraries exist? Maybe this would be fun for hobbyists then with crazy/unusual applications

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

Hard to imagine having fun creating large library of nuts an bolts over long period of time.

I had made screw and nut family table parts and squized as much DIN/ISO standards in those two. Ive created it basicly to make my life easier because all library parts i could get my hands on where with either cosmetic thread or with parameters which were not compatible with my company drawing tables.Not to mention having to translate parameters that could be used to our language from those library parts.

We gona probably soon let ppl download them from our website so others can use them too.

nutsbolts.jpg

Davor,

Fun in regards to creating individual (and very unusual) fasterners as a hobby. Creating entire libraries; certainly not fun.

You hit the nail on the head [no pun intended]. Library parts were not compatible with your company, so you had to design your own set. I assume similar organizations have the same issues and have designed them for in-house use.

Great family table of parts there

Here is mine Chess for Engineers

sach_01.jpg

sach_02.jpg

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Hello evryone,

Since we are on the fasteners (nuts and bolts) subject, Has anyone used Machanism applys to bots and nuts to make them turn???

DV

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:DOVANLE)

Once, for fun.But after 10-20 turns trying to position nut on screw i lost all interest. You can create tiny extender mechanisms with 2 nuts and screw or screw and long connection nut.

Since Vladimir started with chess theme, here is my contribution:

knight to f3

ASM0002_0.jpg

Try these: A quick and dirty Tri-lobe screw and a Smalley "multi-level" wave washer I did for fun. didn't bother to get fancy on the rendering as the wave washer I did about 12 years ago. And, yes, that's perfectly cylindrical on both ID and OD (unlike if you used points to define the trajectory curve) and is created using a single trajectory. The bottom pic is a sink drain part I did in '96 when I first learned Pro/E. It's brass tubing where the thread is rolled into the tubing, so there's a threadform on both the ID and OD. Pro/e is good at removing or adding material, but not about displacing it.

TRILOBE_SCREW-01.JPGSPIRA_WAVE_SPRING3.JPG45SURF-01.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

This is all well and good, but as I've been finding out with Windchill, it wants to pull down the whole damn table into your Workspace. Unlike Intralink, which was much better at only pulling the instance you want plus the generic. It's to the point that some of the Senior Engineers here want to do away with the use of family tables. I oppose that, but see their point.

Frank,

The behavior you are describing for PDMLink is a preference setting. Try setting Include related Family table objects to none. You will only get the generic and instance. Naturally changes to the family table will not be possible unless you download the entire table.

Ron Grabau

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:RonGrabau)

That works in theory. I see that the tables STILL get pulled down, unfortunately.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags