cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Five button mouse - which one?

KrisR
1-Newbie

Five button mouse - which one?

I'm looking for a five button mouse to use with Pro that will support double clicking with the thumb button. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

12 REPLIES 12
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:KrisR)

I had a rev 3 Vertical Mouse that I wore the bottom edge off of and then
the cursor started drifting on its own. I replaced it with a rev 4 and
I love it as well. Helped both my wife (she had a rev 2) and I with our
repetitive stress injuries.

One side benefit is that when folks come to your desk to show you
something and try to grab your mouse, they almost always pull their hand
back and let you drive because they're intimidated by it. It's really
not hard to operate, but folks think it looks complicated I guess.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
KrisR
1-Newbie

Dave,

I use an Intellipoint 5 button mouse now that I can program the buttons, and I have the thumb set to double click, but it does not work in Pro. Can you verify that yours does work in Pro?
KrisR
1-Newbie

I use a keyboard drawer due to having neck and shoulder injuries from an accident AND being short. Having my keyboard and mouse on the actual desk is painful!

I'm a bit concerned about the Evoluent mouses' height and fitting between my keyboard drawer and underside of my desk. It looks really good, though! 😄

The Logitech MX1100 has many programmable buttons, one of which is part of the thumb rest. It is a right-handed mouse, and this button is actuated by depressing it with the outside of the pad of the thumb. This button works well for me as the "enter" button, but is programmable as double click. There are a two more buttons directly above the thumb that are actuated with the ball and/or pad of the thumb; these work less well for me, so I guess you'd need to feel one in person to see if they would suit you.

Regards,
James
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

The mouse itself (rev 4) is roughly 3.25" tall. If you can comfortably
fit your hand vertically in that space, it may work. You do need to
tilt the mouse up in order to reposition it, so you'd need a bit of
extra space.

Doug Schaefer
--
LinkedIn

I use a IntelliMouse and it is fully programmable... Same size as any typical mouse would be!

[cid:image001.jpg@01CD0E48.9117E970]

Michael Ohlrich, Design Engineer
Benchmade Knife Company
mohlrich@benchmade.com<">mailto:mohlrich@benchmade.com>
(503) 655-6004 x122

[cid:image002.jpg@01CD0E48.9117E970]
www.benchmade.com<">http://www.benchmade.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, (or authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by reply e-mail or telephone (503) 655-6004).
KrisR
1-Newbie

Thanks Dave - I'm on Pro/Creo 5.0.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm using the Evoluent 3 and love it. Solved my painful wrist issue almost immediately.
It does do the double click with the thumb in WF4, no problem. But I am also using a 3rd party mouse control, so I can't confirm it's out of the box functionality.

I agree with the other comments about "other" users being intimidated by it, so it has the cool factor also. I would also say that it only took an hour to get used to.

I bought it with my own money (as opposed to company purchase) and have zero regrets whatsoever. It is also ~3-1/4" tall
KrisR
1-Newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions! A new mouse is on its way!
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

So, what did you order? 😄

Doug Schaefer
--
LinkedIn
KrisR
1-Newbie

A Logitech G400. Got that one from PlanetPTC!
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags