Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help annotating a drawing of a partfrom a STEP/.stp file

SOLVED
Level 6

Help annotating a drawing of a partfrom a STEP/.stp file

Hello ptc community,

I'm new to CREO, please bear with me. I have been assigned the task of taking a file in 3D STEP format (.stp) and creating and engineering product drawing with appropriate annotations. 

If I attempt to create a drawing directly from the .stp file, the resulting drawing is completely blank. After doing some research, I learned that I needed to open the file as a part and manually assign a front face. Once I assigned a front face, I was able to create a drawing from the part and place the part onto the drawing. 

Here's the problem. When I attempt to add the necessary angle/length dimensions (Annotate --> Show Model Annotations) it states:

"No annotations can be shown in the current sheet/view for the selected objects" (see attached image)

How can I amend this? I appreciate any advice, thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Re: Help annotating a drawing of a partfrom a STEP/.stp file

You have to manually create the dimensions for any imported body.

Shown dimensions are only available on a parametrically designed model done in Creo.

1 REPLY
Level 15

Re: Help annotating a drawing of a partfrom a STEP/.stp file

You have to manually create the dimensions for any imported body.

Shown dimensions are only available on a parametrically designed model done in Creo.

Announcements
Find out more about LiveWorx, the Digital Transformation Conference. __________________________ Creo 5.0 Sneak Peek Creo 5.0 is scheduled for release in March 2018, but we’re giving an early opportunity for Creo users who don’t want to wait! In the Creo 5.0 Sneak Peek you’ll be able to test enhancements before the official release.

Fill out the Creo 5.0 Sneak Peek Sign Up Form For questions, please reach to SneakPeek@ptc.com