cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How about File -> Recent Working Directory?

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

How about File -> Recent Working Directory?

The "File" menu allows you to re-open one of the files you have recently had open, but I find this pretty useless. Not because I don't want to work on a file I was working on earlier, but because it does not change to the working directory that contained the file. It would be nice to allow a selection from a list of previously used working directories to pick where I want to work now. I don't know about everyone else, but our company directory structure is rather complex. If I'm working on two entirely different projects over the course of the day it gets tedious traversing up and down directory trees all the time.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:KenFarley)

I think that's a great idea. List it as a product suggestion, and you'll probably get lots of votes.

Thanks, Dale. I just added it to the Product Ideas section. We'll see how it goes.

Hi Kenneth,

Have used the Favourites in the tree to achieve this quick moving betwen projects. Does not address last working directory but sure helps.

I'm a big fan of Favo[u]rites for switching working directory. I have all my current projects there, plus the main ones I need to access for legacy issues, plus my temp directory and RAM drive for Mechanica work.

If you're frequently switching between two projects through the course of the day, you should badger PTC to make their licensing work on a per-machine basis, not a per-instance basis - there are several good reasons to run multiple sessions but at the moment that means grabbing multiple licences, which runs the risk of making you unpopular...

Top Tags