Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know my sketch is definitive ?

SOLVED

Re: How do I know my sketch is definitive ?

Paul, I seems as you have something set up differently than me.  I get info just like you do in SW.  When I first sketch everything comes up with blue dimensions like this.

bluedim.jpg

I then can modify any dimension when I do they turn yellow like this.  Or if I put in other dimensions it would get rid of some blue ones that are no longer needed. 

yellowdim.jpg

I rarely use LOCK. 2-3 times per year.  That would only be for some dimension I could never change for any reason. Some of my coworkers use at least one or two locks per sketch they use it as an aide in sketcher because they were taught to click and drag. Which can cause other dimensions to change also.   So in short this is identical to the SW sketcher only using Blue and yellow instead of blue and black.

On a side note.  Back in the day every Pro/E user had to become experts at dimensioning sketches. Your dimensions and constraints back in the day had to all be inserted manually and they had to mathematically work or you could not exit sketcher.  So you learned how to exaggerate a sketch just so you could put the dimensions in how you wanted then tweak everything so it was the size you desired.  I still instinctively use this same exaggerated sketch method today only now sometimes I can leave some blue dimension if it does not mess with my design intent.

Highlighted

I have this option in my config.pro:

sketcher_lock_modified_dims yes

This means that whenever I enter a value for a dimension (which I do for every dimension before completing a sketch), it automatically locks.

99% of the time I change dimension values by entering a new number - in which case, it makes no difference.  Just occasionally, I need to drag a sketch to change a value because it won't immediately regen with the new size; in this case, I manually unlock just the dimensions I want to alter.

By auto-locking all dimensions, it avoids any possibility of inadvertently changing a dimension value by dragging, for whatever reason.

Highlighted

Yes, I understand.  My creo setup is pretty much the same, except I auto-lock every dimension:

sketcher_color_scheme.png

bright red = weak dimensions

green = strong dimensions

yellow = locked dimensions

Like Jonathan Hodgson mentions in this thread, locking dimensions is advantageous because it prevents the sketch geometry from changing because face of the 3D solid was dragged later on in the modeling process.

I don't really understand the difference between the settings

sketcher_lock_modified_dims yes

and

sketcher_dimension_autolock yes

Highlighted

I think

sketcher_dimension_autolock yes should lock any user-created dimension and

sketcher_lock_modified_dims yes would only lock them if a user modified the value after the dimension was created.

If the first was in use the second would be redundant.

Highlighted

Right, but it doesn't seem to work in this manner (Creo 3, M120).  With sketcher_dimension_autolock = yes, you make a new dimension and accept the suggested numerical value.  The dimension that is so created will be strong, but not locked.

I played with these settings some more:

What sketcher_dimension_autolock yes seems to do is to lock a weak dimension right after dragging (using the dimension arrow).

Whereas if you only have sketcher_lock_modified_dims yes, then dragging weak dimension's arrows will turn it into a strong dimension.

In both cases, double-clicking on any dimension and then typing in a *new* value will lock such dimension.

clear as mud, huh?

Highlighted

I've mentioned the need for a PTC UI group; it makes it hard for QC to check to see if the UI is working to spec when there isn't a spec.

Highlighted

Thank you very much for your help

Highlighted

Thank you very much

Highlighted

Seeing it in edit mode doesn't reveal the constraints, so it's difficult to predict based on this view.  I also cannot see what the references are.

My point is weak dims act just like strong ones and tell you what is going on.  With no dims at all, there's no way to know.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Highlighted

I've been asking for this for years.I even was approved to be on a TC years ago and I told them I wanted to be on the one that was over the general UI.  They said that there wasn't one.  I told them that was pretty clear based on the software.

To be fair, this was pre-Creo and Creo, like the UI or not, has produced the most consistent overall UI since the days of all cascading menus.  There are still many problems, but it's gotten better.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn