cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How do I make a rabbit shape around an edge?

JNiessen
1-Newbie

How do I make a rabbit shape around an edge?

I am a new user and having problems creating a rabbit around an object. I have included a jpg. It shows a box around the edge i want the shape cut out of. Beside that an "L" shape to represent 0.125 x 0.125. I would like to know how to cut the "L" shape out all around the top edge of the object. In the wood shop I'd call this a rabbit. One method I came up with was to offset all the edges in 0.125 as a sketch then extrude the sketch up 0.125. This didn't work because I couldn't get holes to cut through the two individual surfaces. I think there may be a way to join the two pieces then cut the holes but I haven't figured it out. Thanks in advance for any help.
14 REPLIES 14

Jim, Sounds like you need to do a Swept Cut using the edge of the part as the Trajectory. Can't tell for sure from your picture. David

If this is just one extruded feature you could use the same sketch to extrude a cut .125 deep with a wall thickness of .125

Try out the Lip feature. Insert > Advanced > Lip Erik
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ErikSallingboe-)

Sounds like a swept cut to me. Go to the help center for detailed instructions on how to do one. Good luck!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Thanks for the replies. I have two kids trying out a sweep and two trying a lip. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If this is something you do a lot of, turn it into a UDF once you find what works the best for you.

It's almost impossible to tell what you want, but I'm assuming you want an "L"-shaped step all the way around not just the lip but the entire "gasket"? Like you took a router all the way around? If so, sweep a cut around it, but be aware that the cut will be a child of all the external radii.

We have been experimenting a bit with sweeps but not been able to do this yet. I got to admit that the terminology is screwing me up and figuring out the picks. I'm putting it down to the "new software learning curve". The solution some are using is to make two sketches/objects. A bottom piece and a top piece that is offset inward 0.125 and is 0.125 high. This brings up other problems when putting in holes but it works. I'll keep trying the sweep until i figure it out but man it's tough going from ACAD 2004 to this.

Jim, if you can send me the file I will take a quick look at it. See what I can do and then send it back. Also if you send it let me know what version of Pro/E you are using. Wes

This sounds dumb but I can't get the .prt files to attach. In fact if you look the allowed file types, prt isn't allowed. Funny yet is the fact that if I try to add two .prt files into a zip file a #1 is added to the extension and it won't open. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to send a file? I could add the jpg but that will just cause more work. I got to admit that I am feeling a little dumb right now.

Not sure, never attached anything to this before(I will have to try sometime). Just email it to me at wesg@sequoiaetc.com Wes

FYI, Wes Gegg was kind enough to load Wildfire 4 and figured out three ways to solve my problem. I always like to see topics end so here are the three solutions he used. From the pull down menues select Insert/Sweep than you can use either an extrude, a cut or a sweep. When the sweep DDL box appears you must define the trajectory (path) then a sketcher will start and allow you to create the shape (sketch) then with a cut it will ask for the surface you want to cut out. The biggest problem I had after I saw the solutions is picking the trajectory but it woks well.

Jim, for the future, the design intent and what dimension scheme you desire often determines the process used to create your feature. As someone mentioned, the "Lip" command does a nice job of this.

When the first reply came in with the Lip command I looked for it and couldn't find it as part of our menu structure. It should be at INSERT/ADVANCED/LIP. I searched the command and found that could be turned on or off through the command structure "allow_anatomic_features is set to yes." I tried this but couldn't get tit to work. Our school computers are very constrained by the medi technicians. I haven't tried it on my home computer yet. In the mean time Wes came up with a solution that worked so I went with that. As for design intent. In all the teacher information I have it mentions design intent so I've read a bit about it. However, I can't say that I get it but don’t really understand it at this time. This is my first real attempt at teaching pro-e and I have almost been dropped into it completely unprepared. In other words, I’m just trying to keep ahead of the students but I will get there.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags