cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How do i create the thread on fastner or bolt

ptc-601138
1-Newbie

How do i create the thread on fastner or bolt

I have been looking for the process on how to make a nut or screw but it's not that easy...can anybody please help me figure this out
3 REPLIES 3

I have done it by using a helical sweep with a protrusion. The protrusion feature is the thread profile. If you want I can send you an example and you can copy. It is a little bit of a pain, but best way I know.

A quicker less memory sapping method is to make the basic shape of the fastener then add a cosmetic thread to it.

If you want to create the solid geometry (as opposed to the lighter-weight cosmetic thread) a Helical Sweep Cut is often better than a Helical Sweep Protrusion. In the first place, it more directly mimics the actual material removal or deformation process of creating the thread. If you do it with a protrusion, you get abrupt perpendicular ends to the feature which do not feather out in any way. If you use a cut, you can put a chamfer on the end of the bolt first, start the cut in space beyond the end of the bolt, and you will have a realistic end condition. If there is thread relief at the other end, the result will be similar there. If not, you can finish off the buried end of the thread by sweeping or revolving the triangular end surface profile along an arc exiting the bolt body on a plane perpendicular to that end surface.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags