cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to Import a Sketch

BigBoss
1-Newbie

How to Import a Sketch

How do you import a sketch (a sec file) into creo parametric 2.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DRFaust
5-Regular Member
(To:BigBoss)

Select the "File System" icon then select the desired sec file.

Insert sec.PNG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DRFaust
5-Regular Member
(To:BigBoss)

Select the "File System" icon then select the desired sec file.

Insert sec.PNG

Dude your awesome!

Thanks for the info about how to import a sketch (a sec file) from the file system, however my question is this:

Can I modify the original sketch (the sec file) and then get my part updated? Will the changes made to the original file be updating the part using the sketch?

I have a number of different parts using a same sketch, I want all of these parts updated when I may original sketch is modified. Is there any way to do this?

For example I am designing a housing for a circuit board. I want to have a board sketch and use it in multiple parts, e,g, housing top, housing bottom, and some internal components. I want all of these parts updated based on the modification to the board sketch. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:nanpnanr)

Can I modify the original sketch (the sec file) and then get my part updated? Will the changes made to the original file be updating the part using the sketch?

No. The .sec files on disk are just saved sections (sketches). By loading one into a model, you are just saving yourself the trouble of sketching it again. There is no reference kept between the file on disk and the model.

I have a number of different parts using a same sketch, I want all of these parts updated when I may original sketch is modified. Is there any way to do this?

There are several different ways to approach this. Basically you need to create the "master" sketch in one model, and then reference this sketch from all the other models. Then, when you need to make a change you only change the sketch in the master model. This can be done multiple ways:

• Publish geometry / Copy geometry
  • Adding the master model and child model to a shared assembly (or skeleton model approach)
  • Merge / Inheritance Feature
nanpnanr
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Thank you very much.

I tried Publish geometry / Copy geometry and it works perfect for the purpose.

nanpnanr
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I have also tried the merge / inheritance, but got some problem here.

When I try to extrude from a sketch contained in an inherited feature, it fails as below.

(PROTRUSION) failed regeneration.

Feature geometry can not be restored.

Reasons for failure:

Feature references are missing.

Nevertheless I can use references from other features, except from a sketch.

Do you have any idea?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

if you could upload the sketch....then may be we would be able to help.

I have uploaded the files and some images to show what I have done.

1) created a parent part, simply with only one sketch.

parent_01.jpg

2) created a child part.

Get data>Merge/Inheritance

Opened parent part mentioned above.

child_011.jpg

Placement: coincident all planes, parent-TOP:child-TOP, parent-RIGHT:child-RIGHT, parent-FRONT:child-FRONT

child_012.jpg

Toggled inheritance so that inheritance is turned on

child_013.jpg

3) Selected the sketch from the inherited feature, and extrude.

child_02.jpg

4) Competed and Applied extrude, then Feature failed. See the information below.

child_03.jpg

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

ok you are using creo parametric 3.0.

i do not have that version.

ok few things...

1. you can use the default constrain directly instead of constraining with three planes.

2. do not switch 'ON' the toggle inheritance option.

3. go to extrude select plane to sketch, go into sketcher, then select use edge (single,chain or loop) depending on what you want to select and then select the edge.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags