Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change STL faceting of flat circular surfaces

Re: How to change STL faceting of flat circular surfaces

Frank,

I am not trying to use an STL mesh for FEA, I am using an STL generated from a model in Creo (and WF 2 in the old days), to creat a 3D mesh in DEFORM.

I also use Creo to make IGES files for import into DEFORM, just because it is so much easier.

DEFORM always makes the mesh. The difference is whether the geometry is imported 2D, 3D or created internally as 2D, revolved 2D or 3D primitives.

I run a lot of 3D simulations and some of the models are much too complicated to create inside DEFORM.

My only question was if it was possible to get the STL triangles to be oriented to the cylinder (edge) instead of linear. The tech support case is on "hold", he didn't tell me it wasn't possible yet, so I still have some hope.

The workaround has worked well for a long time and I will keep using it, unless someone has a solution.

The other workaround is to mesh the Creo STL without curvature sensitivity and then to do a manual remesh with curvature sensitiviy. But it would still be better for me if the STL from Creo, behaved similar to he STL in DEFORM.

What formats will Deform accept?

Antonius,

Here is the list.

deform_file_types.jpg

Hmmm. Perhaps create an STL model, open that, export a STEP files as surfaces only, and then in Import Data doctor remove the surfaces you don't like, then create the ones you want exactly as you want them?

Not much choice for imports. Looking forward to what PTC comes up with.

Frank,

I tried and didn't have a lot of success,

Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

Antonius,

I've always thought that also, and I am also looking forward to a response; Even if they say it's not possible.

Yeah, I was guessing. What went wrong? I figured the STL would give you 99% of the faets you wanted, and by manually deleting and adding them it might help.

Frank,

If I did it right (big if), I end up with an stl file, that has no endfaces. From there, I don't know how to put facets back in, the way I want them. If I make surfaces, the facets are created like usual.

STL strikes me as a really clunky format for transferring native solid geometry (and it seems rather poor that Deform won't import 3D STEP or IGES).

I believe Mechanica can generate a NASTRAN mesh - have you tried playing with that?