Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a ball joint

SOLVED

How to create a ball joint

This may be a little difficult to explain but I have two arms that I want to connect with a ball joint. The movement will be up and down, and also swivel 360 degrees. In the first arm I have a spherical cutout where I want to attach the ball, it will be inside that cutout that the ball will move and swivel. How do I or can I constrain a ball inside that cutout to get that sort of movement? I know there is a ball constrain, but I'm not sure how to use it. attached is a picture of the cutout where the ball will be inserted.
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create a ball joint

By "dummy part" I simply mean that it's not a part of the product design. It's just a utilitarian file. The point and two axes are the features in part C that are used for assembly purposes.

Does that help?

9 REPLIES 9

Basically I've controlled the position of Ball Joints using Datum Points. I attach one point on the external of the ball and attach one point on the internal of the cutout. Then I align the points at the assembly and change the position by changing the location of the point internally to the cutout.

The attachement is in WF5 as my example.

That makes sense, however it doesn't give you the ability to use the drag function to allow easy maneuverability. Thanks for sending that to me, If I can't find out how to do it the way I'm thinking it should work I'll use your method.

Christian,

If I understand correctly, you should be able to accomplish the task by using a "ball" constraint and a "planar" constraint.

I've attached a sample for clarity.

Good luck!

TROY MASON

Impulse Product Development
2445 Directors Row Ste C
Indianapolis, IN 46241

www.impulseproductdevelopment.com

www.facebook.com/impulseproductdevelopment

That is exactly what I was looking for, that answered part of my question, now I'm wondering if it's possible to have that ball not only move up and down in the y plane like it does, but also swivel 360 degrees in the x, z plane?

To my knowlege, Pro/E doesn't have the capability, but you could add a 3rd "dummy part" to give you the desired constraints.

The 3rd part (C) would be assembled just like B was in the last assembly. The B is assembled to C with a pin joint or cylinder + planar joint.

New files attached....

Make sense?

So when I open up your file in pro E, there is nothing in part C. Or I should say there is no solid model that I can see when I open part C. when you say "dummy part" what exactly do you mean by this?

By "dummy part" I simply mean that it's not a part of the product design. It's just a utilitarian file. The point and two axes are the features in part C that are used for assembly purposes.

Does that help?

Wow, that's something I would have never thought of. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

Sure thing! I'm glad I could help.

TROY MASON

Impulse Product Development
2445 Directors Row Ste C
Indianapolis, IN 46241

www.impulseproductdevelopment.com

www.facebook.com/impulseproductdevelopment