cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to reduce the time of regeneration of a generic model with many instances?

rsilva-2
4-Participant

How to reduce the time of regeneration of a generic model with many instances?

Hello
How can I work more effectively with family tables / generic models, whitout spend much time in model regeneration?
When the generic model has several instances, the time spent regenering all instances is too long.
I've already used the following solutions but they not greatly reduced the time spent:

1. In the model tree: Model / Operations / Read only / "set all to read only"
2. In family table: Tools / Family table / "Lock/Unlock the selected instance"

Is there any other option that I can do to solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rsilva-2
4-Participant
(To:dnordin)

Yes this is a good practice. I'll re-order the features in model tree. I think that with the other actions that I've already done the model will regenerate faster.

Thank you, Dan N for the guidance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:rsilva-2)

Some other techniques to try

For parts:
Keep all of the non-changing features at the top of the model tree leaving just the variable features at the bottom.  This may keep the non-changing features from regenerating each time an instance is opened.  This may require that you reorder the features and/or re-define existing features to split the geometry into multiple features.  For example: if you model a bolt where only the length of the bolt is changing in the family table, model all of the features that define the head first, and then, as the last feature, define the shaft portion.  When you verify the instances, only the shaft geometry should regenerate.  That is a very simple example, but if your first feature in a 100+ feature model is variable, the entire model may regenerate for each instance causing longer regeneration times.

For assemblies:

1. Try the same technique listed for parts, keeping the non-variable components at the top of the model tree.
  2. If you're swapping out components and their related mounting HW components, try grouping them and placing the group in the family table.  If nothing else, it organizes the model and family table better.
  3. Check your assemblies for circular references.
  4. Check for external dependencies.
  5. Don't use assembly level cuts that only show at the assembly level.
  6. If you're using skeleton models that have family tables to drive component placement, this may drive the entire assembly to regenerate as the skeleton is the first model in the model tree.  Try creating the family table inside of the .asm file itself instead of in the skeleton model.

Regards,

Dan N.

rsilva-2
4-Participant
(To:dnordin)

Yes this is a good practice. I'll re-order the features in model tree. I think that with the other actions that I've already done the model will regenerate faster.

Thank you, Dan N for the guidance.

Top Tags