cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

I have often wondered....

DeanLong
10-Marble

I have often wondered....

Deep thoughts for a Monday: Does anyone know if CAD functionality is "patentable"? In other words, why is it that every CAD software does not have similar processes for creating features since it's all found in calculus, physics, chemistry, Statics and Mechanics textbooks? I know that "code" is patentable and protected, but are individual features or methods of creating those features "proprietary"? Isn't and extrude and extrude in every software?  I have witnesses years of "showdowns" between CAD software "mine is better", no "mine is better" type stuff and I always wondered about this.

1 REPLY 1
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DeanLong)

‌Don't know about the patent issue but while the mathematics behind the features may be the same that doesn't mean the interface for the input of required data has to be the same from program to program. Most of the time when I've seen the "one software is better than another" it's been based on how well user like the interface and features.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags