cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Letter, Number, and Fractional drill

PJHoward-disabl
1-Newbie

Letter, Number, and Fractional drill

Unless I'm missing somthing, it would be very convienient to be able to specify a letter, number, or fractional drill when using the hole tool. I'm tempted to start compiling my own hole table, but I don't have the time. Is there any way to specify a standard drill hole? I know ProE notes specify the standard drill size in the thread notes, so somewhere there is a table of values.
6 REPLIES 6
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:PJHoward-disabl)

There are a bunch of files under "loadpoint"\text, that look like they can be edited using a text editor. Never messed with them though so I can't say how well it would work. I saw a folder for taps, drills etc.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

I think you fellas are talking about two separate things: standard holes in a Pro/E model and standard tools which can be used with Pro/NC. It would be nice...!

David, You're right. Chris was talking about the manufacturing tool files. What I would like to see is an option in the hole tool that allowed me to drill, for example, an "F" drill hole. The way things are now, I have to have a drill chart always present and consult it to drill a hole. There is always the posibility of having a "typo" and the end result is not a standard hole size leading the machinist to assume it is a bored or special hole. I just find it difficult to believe that this problem has not been addressed over the years. Phil

I think Chris was on the right track here. Under "loadpoint"\text\hole, you will find a few files with a .hol extension. They should be UNC, UNF and ISO and these tables contain all the information used when creating a standard hole feature. The config option hole_parameter_file_path sets the path for these standard hole files. I believe you can can copy and rename one of the 3 files listed above, and then use a text editor to change the values in that new file to what you want to show. I have tried this and it did workout. Make sure the new file has the .hol extension, config option is set and saved, and then restart Pro/E once all this is done. Like you stated though, you do have to take the time and do this. I'm thinking someone out there may have this file already created but I have not come across it.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:jrichard)

Seems like there are a lot of standard data files in your Pro-E setup, that just aren't documented well. You have to look for them, figure out how they were made and what editor would work best etc... but eventually with trial and error you can customize them for the things that PTC left out. We have had to add or modify the sizes on several of the steel profile data tables for EFX module, so that they contained common sizes we use. I'm guessing the same may be true with these hole files... they gave you a starting point, now perhaps you just need to add to the data in these files. Again, I've never messed with these so I don't know if they would be able to give you what you need or not. Just a thought. Thanks!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

If you are going to go to the effort of setting up the standard hole sizes, you might also consider using a UDF. If you do that, there are several subtleties (placement reference prompts, drill point bottom, etc.) you can control within the UDF to make it even better than the standard hole.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags