cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Make 3D model look more like SoldWorks Model

LeeCasey
1-Newbie

Make 3D model look more like SoldWorks Model

Hi is there a way to make 3D shaded models look more like SolidWorks models? Example:
15 REPLIES 15

Please reply on which options to change. Thks, E-

Sorry I should have been more specific. I mean the thick lined edges of the model.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:LeeCasey)

View, Display Settings, Model Display... Shade Tab, select "With Edges" box. I don't know if you can change the color of the edge lines, it seems to take the color of the object itself. Play around with that and see if it works out for you. Chris
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Yes I agree that it would be desirable to display the edges as a default. I looked through the config.pro options and I couldn't find a default setting for this. I made a map key that will turn the edges on. Normally the edges are white but I would prefer them black like Solid Works.

Yes, I can only seem to make them white also, which dosn't really give the same effect in my opinion. Do you have any tips or tricks on this Andy? I'm sure you do

It is a 2 step process. Step 1 : Checking the option "With Edges" by clicking #View #Display Settings #Model Display and in the Model display dialog box #Shade, the edge color will be the same as the model color. Step 2 : Assign a designated color to the solid surfaces of the model by clicking #View; #Color and Appearances; Select a different color other than the model color; #Surfaces in the Assignment type; Select a surface #Hold the RMB; #Solid Surfaces; #Ok; #Apply. The color of the edges will be same as the original model color. The model color will be the new color assigned. This works but kind of pain .. -Chander.

I get asked this one quite a lot.... Chanders solution works fine (you should make the part colour black, then assign a different colour to the model surfaces). However if you create any new features, you have to apply the surface colour to the new surfaces. Another workaround is to create a new black colour with a texture map using a jpg image which is the colour which you require i.e. a white jpg image - this works for subsequent features. Both methods are a bit of a pain, and it would be preferable if we had a config.pro option: shade_edges_like_solidworks yes/no !!!

Here's an example: [/img] Looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me, but if that's what you want........
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:AndyDeighton-di)

I actually find the edges very distracting. Especially in assembly mode when you have one sub-assembly activated and the others are "greyed out" (WF4). The edges in the greyed out portion show up white and are very annoyingly in the way! Just my humble opinion.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

IMHO this looks kind of like a cartoon...

i aggree very cartoonish

I think view of a model with black edges is very useful, a specialy in models with many detailes like shett metal with lots of holes. I use black edges view in Pro/E but i have to turn off the colors and see grey model. I hope this is helpful. Guy HP indigo

Hello Lee, just messing around, i discovered a possible solution to your problem. Have you tried changing the scheme (found in system colours)to black on white, ok you have a white background but the edges are black when you shade using the default grey colour & have shade with edges set to 'yes'. John

hi Lee, i just made another discovery, change the scheme to black on white as before, then change the background colour to your requirement using the RGB sliders & your edges stay black. hope this helps John

"john pryal" wrote:

hi Lee, i just made another discovery, change the scheme to black on white as before, then change the background colour to your requirement using the RGB sliders & your edges stay black. hope this helps John

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags