cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Marbles in a bottle

drawlins
5-Regular Member

Marbles in a bottle

What is the best way to assemble marbles of a given size into a container and determine how deep 100 marbles will fill it.  I have a nominal marble diameter, minimum diameter and a maximum diameter and need to measure all 3.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for ideas.

6 REPLIES 6
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:drawlins)

Makes me think of the old chemistry, BCC & CCP (Body Centered Cubic & Cubic Closest Pack).

drawlins
5-Regular Member

I can attach the .prt files if I can figure out how to do it?

Buy 100 marbles and make a scaled model of the container to match the ratio to the marble sizes.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Try using Sketchup or Blender...

I don't know how to do this in Creo, Don. If you had a specific container you could manually assemble each marble with tangent constraints, but I don't think this is what you are looking for. I imagine you are after an automated solution. This is a complex contact problem that Creo is not ideally suited for. You could solve this relatively easily using a physics engine called Kangaroo. Kangaroo is a plugin for Grasshopper that is a plugin for Rhino. It understands contact and gravity. Kangaroo - Grasshopper

drawlins
5-Regular Member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I think I've got the solution figured out using water and marble fill then solving for displacement to get the percentage of marble fill.  Then using this with volume measurements in Creo to come up with the fill level at nominal, minimum and maximum marble size.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags