cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mechanica units

fcoexposito
1-Newbie

Mechanica units

Hello all, I am a new user and I'm really lost! I use Mechanica Wildfire 2.0 (without Pro/Engineer) and I want to know which system units are defined by default and how to change them. I've read that in Pro/Mechanica the system units by default are Inches-Pounds-Seconds. Also I've read that in Mechanica there are no units, it only works with the values you enter... Is that correct? And I think... if there are no system units, how can you know, if the result is meter or milimeter or ... Thanks a lot.
2 REPLIES 2
rridel
14-Alexandrite
(To:fcoexposito)

Hi- The units in MECHANICA without Pro/ENGINEER (aka Independent Mode, or Standalone Mode) are dictated by the materials you're assigning in the model. You'll notice that the list of materials is presented such as: "BRASS_mmNS", "BRASS_IPS", etc. For example, "BRASS_mmNS" simply states that BRASS has density, Young's Modulus, etc, specified in [mm-N-sec] system of units. Now:- When you create the geometry, you sketch items thinking in "units". A curve between 2 points separated 5 "units" is 5 inches if the material is "BRASS_IPS" and 5 mm when assigning "BRASS_mmNS", aso. Obviously -if you have multiple volumes/shells/etc in the model- you'd have to maintain consistency when defining the materials. I hope this answers your question. RR.

Yes, it solve my doubt... thanks a lot
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags