cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mechanism Connection for pivot 2 components

jcastillo
1-Newbie

Mechanism Connection for pivot 2 components

Hello,

I have a mechanism and I need to rotate a component (gray) 180° with a pin joint, but I need that the red component always be in vertical position (or bottom surface always parallel to the floor).

I tried different Kind of connections, but always failed. Could anyone help me telling me how can I add a parallel constraint to the bottom surface in order to always have a vertical position in the red component, while gray component is rotating?

Regards

connection.JPG

3 REPLIES 3

Jaime,

If you simply want to keep that orientation while dragging, you can orient two datums as shown (the datum on the left is an assembly datum) and take a snapshot.

Then, whenever you need to drag the assembly, activate the snapshot.2-6-17.jpg

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:jcastillo)

What about adding a dummy link (in green) that constrains the red follower to be in the desired orientation:

linkage_0.png

The dummy link is constrained by 2 planar connections:

linkage_1.png

And then the red follower has a pin joint as one of the connections, and a planar constraint that will orient it to the dummy.

linkage_2.png

The resulting motion is what you seek in your description.  The only downside of this method is the dummy component that needs to be handled elsewhere (e.g. layers for visibility, filters for presence in the BOM)...

rcook
6-Contributor
(To:jcastillo)

Jaime,

Assemble the red part with a pin constraint and then add a second constraint set as "General" and make a datum or surface from the red part parallel to one of the assembly datum planes. That will force the red part to remain fixed instead of rotating with your gray part. Very basic example attached.

mech.jpg

Top Tags