cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Motion Skeleton - Pin Joint

ctrummer
1-Newbie

Motion Skeleton - Pin Joint

Does anyone know the secret to creating a motion skeleton body with a pin joint as the connection. All I have been able to get is ball joints, and I don't want to use two ball joints to define a hinge when a single pin joint should do.

Chris Trummer

1 REPLY 1

All,

I figured out my issue, I guess I'll take it up with PTC since I am seeing some strange behavior.

1.When using external copied geometryinthe base design skeleton within a motion skeleton assembly verticies ofcurve endpoints are only defined as ball joints.

2. Iftwo sketched curves intersect within a design skeleton thenat motion body creation the verticiesdefault to pin joints, cylinder and ball are alternates.

3.The workaround to "publish" geometry from a top level skeleton into a design skeletonis to sketch thegeometryin thedesign skeleton, but copy sketcher references insketch. This provides the ability to modify the mechanism geometry from the top leveland visualy see the changes you are making. Unfortunately when you select curves from the design skeleton to define your body the visual representation disappears so the only selection method to modify the geometry is via the model tree.

I have attached a sample model to illustrate the three methods.

1.) 03_BODY_SKEL_0002.PRT - Selects published geometry from top level skeleton - DEMOASM_03_SKEL0001.PRT

2.) 03_BODY_SKEL_0003.PRT - Selects sketched geomerty in the desing skeleton - 03_DESIGN_SKEL_0001.PRT

3.) 03_BODY_SKEL_0004.PRT - Selects sketched geomerty in the desing skeleton, which references the master skeleton - DEMOASM_03_SKEL0001.PRT

I welcome any feedback if anyone has more insight into using TDD methods with the new Motion Skeleton assemlies PTC has introduced. For now I don't see much advantage to this new feature over previous methods of TDD mechanism design.

Thanks,

Chris Trummer

In Reply to Chris Trummer:

Does anyone know the secret to creating a motion skeleton body with a pin joint as the connection. All I have been able to get is ball joints, and I don't want to use two ball joints to define a hinge when a single pin joint should do.

Chris Trummer

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags