cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Move & Resize in Sketcher - Geometry Snaps Back to Previous Origin

NEALROSENBLUM
1-Newbie

Move & Resize in Sketcher - Geometry Snaps Back to Previous Origin

Hey All,

I have imported some DXF geometry into a sketch (I have done this hundreds of times over the years).

My customer asked me to move the geometry slightly, so I redefined the sketch and attempted to MOVE & RESIZE to the geometry by windowing it in and moving it.  I moved the geometry by picking it up and manually moving it with the mouse and cursor AND also by entering offsets into the MOVE & RESIZE dialog box.  Looks like it is working just fine until I ACCEPT in the MOVE & RESIZE dialog box.  I keep my eye on the geometry and see it snap back to its previous location.

The only way to overcome this seems to be to delete the existing sketch and then re-import the DXF file into the sketch.

Any ideas?

TIA,

--Neal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you can create two datum plane representing horizontal and vertical references of your sketch and place them into your model using offset constraint. Then you can create a feature using DXF file and relate its position to these datum planes. If you need to move "DXF related" feature simply modify offset dimensions of datum planes.

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

you can create two datum plane representing horizontal and vertical references of your sketch and place them into your model using offset constraint. Then you can create a feature using DXF file and relate its position to these datum planes. If you need to move "DXF related" feature simply modify offset dimensions of datum planes.

MH

Martin Hanák

Dear Martin,

Thank you.  I played around with this geometry for quite a while and ended up doing something extremely similar to this.  I noticed that the geometry from the DXF file that I imported referenced my sketcher references for nearly every single dimension.  So I created a centerline in sketch and immediately, all of the sketcher dimensions began to reference this centerline all except for one dimension (let's say in the x-direction), that was essentially the dimension from my sketcher reference to this new centerline.

Thank you,

--Neal

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags